GRMLN - Heavenly Bodies
Jan 17, 2019
First impressions are a nice guitar sound and technique, and nice but slightly quiet words. I also very much like the album cover, as it has me asking myself questions.
Birthday Party is a subtle but confident indie song. It doesnt jump off the page as indie, and sort of fits into funk I would say. Again, Track 2 - Orca, the words are to quiet for the music. I think so far the only weakness is the production (which after a bit of digging I have found Yoodoo Park does himself). Apart from the inappropriate sound levels, the production is very good, but sounds a little like other indie bands. Soak was slightly bland, but inoffensive, at this point, Im finding not being able to hear the lyrics quite frustrating. That will bring the mark down considerably. Distractor, a song with nice effects on it, giving it quite a Saint Motel feel to it. I feel like Distractor would be good at a festival on a Sunday Afternoon, but apart from the guitar is uninteresting. Coast is the highlight so far. I like it quite a lot. These songs are too short, you dont get a chance to really get into them. Immoral Man has a nice riff, and louder lyrics, and is alot better than some of the songs just before it. Quite nice being able to hear the lyrics, which are actually quite good. Worship entirely passed me by. I can hear the lyrics this time, which is nice but the lyrics on it are really quite unimaginative. Slang was really boring. The album has had a low patch so moon needs to be a great ending to redeem itself. It did not. Really disappointing ending.

Positives - The music (despite how loud) is very good and lovely clean production on the amazing guitar riffs.
Negatives - Really irritating not being able to hear the lyrics over the music. Some of it sounded quite generic.
Best Tracks - Distractor, Birthday Party, Immoral Man