Xiu Xiu - Girl with Basket of Fruit
Feb 4, 2019
"No, yes, yeah, no, yes, no, what?"

Honestly, this is a though one. This record is something else. Many people are gonna love it and many people are gonna hate it. It's noisy, it's agressive but it's also powerful. That's the word I would use to describe it. POWERFUL, although very unclear. You get all these strange lyrics and random sounds and it's so hard to crack everything that's going on. The record is said to feature "themes and references" of and to "ritual, mythology, mundane and divergent belief, film, music, and resurrected motifs from preceding Xiu Xiu videos". Mary Turner Mary Turner is the only track in which I could get what was going on. It's a track that talks about the death Mary Turner and her baby, a very gruesome and honestly disgusting story about she died. Still, most tracks are mostly random rumblings and references.

In terms of sound, as I said before, "Girl With Basket Of Fruit" is a pretty polarizing experience. It barely features any actual "singing". Instead, we have Jamie Stewart either murmuring or shouting to whatever is in the background. It's a pretty "unstable record from beggining to end. The experimentation is what made me love this record. It's just so random and that's a thing I like. As I said, many people are gonna hate it but I sure loved it.

I predict that the backlash for this album is gonna be pretty polarizing and I get why is that but honestly, I loved it and I can't wait to hear it again.
Comments