Sunn O))) - Life Metal
Apr 19, 2019
This is my introduction to Sunn O))) so I didn't really know what to expect from this album. The only thing that I knew from them was that they are a drone metal band which seemed pretty interesting. I started listening to it and I was pretty intrigued. The first track is quite nice, it's a perfectly fine introduction for an album like this. But then the album just kept going and going and going with no direction whatsoever... During the rest of the album (until the last 5 minutes which are easily the best part of the album) I feld bored, just waiting for the album to end. No matter how complex the album is or how blissful it sounds, nothing really managed to catch my interest here. I don't know if this is just another Sunn O))) album of if they have a more diverse sound but this one just felt bland. Hoping I am able to appreciate it more in future listens.
Apr 22, 2019
It's just my opinion but Sunn O))) delivers the same thing since 20 years. And the recent albums are extremly lazy compared to black one or monoliths (which is kind of hilarious to me because Sunn O))) is quite often mocked for lack of progression through an album, extreme monoteous sounds and the most critical ones, just put some drrrrrr things and that's it). This is the type of bands I'll never understand the appeal, specially regarding to the entire career.
Apr 23, 2019
I don't know if their other albums are similar to this one but if they are, I'm not particularly interested
Apr 23, 2019
Sunn O))) are extremely hit or miss for people. I have yet to listen to this album and I'll never tell you not to keep exploring them. But from my experience as a Sunn O))) fan, if you dont like one album you most likely wont like the rest.

I'd recommend at the very least giving Domkirke their live album a listen, its a bit different and if you dont like its totally fine too.
Apr 25, 2019
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results.

I would also recommend listening to Black One and Monoliths & Dimensions, but like the above poster said, it's a polarizing sound and not for everyone.
Apr 26, 2019