Navy Blue - Àdá Irin
Feb 14, 2020 (updated Feb 17, 2020)
Wonderful! Another high quality sLums release! I've ranted and raved about how much I love this growing genre quite a bit. It's crazy to think that a movement popularized by Earl Sweatshirt has allowed me to discover excellent artists I never would have known existed. I would go out on a limb and say it's my favorite sub-genre of hip hop out there today. ...But enough about the genre itself, let's get down to the album. Navy Blue presents another jazzy and calming rap album that succeeds when it really gets jazzy and wild. The one song that felt weird on the album was 22!. It has the jazzy sound, but with percussion you wouldn't expect from a sLums album. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that song as it feels really weird compared to the rest of the album, but it didn't damper the great experience on display. Navy Blue throws his hat into the ever growing list of talented sLums rappers. I look forward to hearing many great albums of this style this year!
Feb 16, 2020
great review but this movement was not started by earl sweatshirt. at all.
Feb 16, 2020
Poor wording on my part. I should have said Earl popularized the movement or I guess made the movement more mainstream, at least to me. He introduced the sound to me. Glad you liked the review!
Feb 17, 2020
Edited to reflect what I should have originally said!
Feb 19, 2020
Good review but he's not in sLums
Feb 19, 2020
Good lord I was totally inaccurate on this one. 😂 How can I correct this one? sLums-esque sound I guess?
Feb 22, 2020
im not sure but I think he isn't slums, but influenced by them at least
zeltyy