21 Savage - i am > i was
Dec 28, 2018
Pretty surprised to see the rating on this, 72 is very high for a trap record on this site. There's no denying that 21 Savage has better flow and lyricism than the majority of trap rappers but hes not musically pushing any boundaries on this project. There's certainly a good amount of tracks worth adding to playlists but as a whole the project isn't at all memorable and is lacking in any defining aesthetic. As much as some songs do hit the marks, it's a very constrained and formulaic effort filled with the instrumental and lyrical tropes of your average trap album. Pretty crazy that this is currently sitting higher than trap projects such as Die Lit and Slime Season 3. You lot have Lil Boat 2 at a 46 and this gets into the 70's? I'm done here
Dec 28, 2018
I agree with your view on the album, and take the ratings here (especially for popular albums in general) with a grain of salt. This album and basically all of trap (imo) is really bad to me. Just gonna mention that you rated the album a 66, which is only a 6 point difference so it doesn't seem like the rating is too far off then (based on your score).
Dec 28, 2018
I think the difference is, to me, no matter what genre a 66 is just an ok album score, an album that has its qualities but ultimately falls short of being anything special. However, a 72 on a trap release is very high in terms of overall user score. I think the highest a trap record has on this site is an 81, then after that it drops to 77 and there are very few rated 72+ whereas if you look into any other genre there's hundreds of 75+ rated albums.
Dec 28, 2018
What I'm trying to say is whilst my 66 is very close to 72. The 72 user score holds a lot more value considering the genre. It's like my 66 is in Canadian cents but the 72 is in British pence. Bad analogy, lol. But considering the context one holds more worth than the other despite how close the numbers are if you get me?
Dec 29, 2018
Haha, I definitely see what you're saying. I also think it's tough using a number scale to grade albums in general just because a 70 to one artist isn't really a 70 to another, and I think this album is a prime example of that. Wish there was more discussion on this site after albums instead of such focus on the ratings!
Dec 30, 2018
Definitely. Gonna try to aim to discuss music amongst this community as much as possible in 2019 and read and comment on peoples reviews a lot more. Hopefully I get the same on mine, always ready to talk about music!
YungNoodle