Deathspell Omega - The Furnaces of Palingenesia
Jun 17, 2019
REVIEW COMING.

Strange and saddening to see this band allegedly has ties to some neo-nazi type shit. The lyrics seem to lean more progressive in my interpretation. I dont want to believe it. Anyone done any digging on this care to detail it for me? currently traveling and a quick google search didn't give me much.
For context:

Currently making a concerted effort to listen to the entirety of the /mu/ essentials chart so I have a more solid foundation in core genres so my music analysis is more comprehensive, and I know DsO's Paracletus is listed there as a hallmark of metal. I'll still listen to the record, but will most likely skip out on offering a review. Hope travelling has been good so far!
Jun 19, 2019
Ah thanks man, scrolled through that. I gather DsO dont seem like an actual NSBM band but the vocalist definitely has nazi ties. I'll do a bit more digging when I can as I am interested in the other members and who is responsible for the lyrics.

It may seem like a ridiculous admission but hearing a band has geniune affiliations to some dark cults/groups only makes the music sound more daunting and effective to me. If the lyrical content is clearly pushing nazi beliefs though im out.
Jun 19, 2019
I dont see clear nazi ideology in the themes here though. Like I said I interpreted the lyrics to be opposing to those views and I will still listen with those interpretations. Eager for a band statement on this but I doubt there'll ever be one lol.
Jun 19, 2019
Feel like once the music is out there the interpretation is left up to the listener for sure, that being said I'll probably still listen to the music in some capacity, but won't be platforming them by reviewing their music and such. Hoping the band decides to speak up, but knowing their elusive nature they'll probably just lie low.
Jul 1, 2019
Ehhh, if you are friendly with openly far right bands then it’s a guilty by association type situation. And really, it’s probably more than just association if people true feelings were known. We have so much of this going on now within the American political system itself. It’s all rather disgusting.
Jul 1, 2019
I agree with that. I've been down and escaped from that arresting right-wing rabbithole as you may remember lol. I definitely know a great deal about the way the more vanilla creators associations with the more extreme slowly rope people in whether by intention or not. I think with music or even art in general the situation is a little strange. For me I either have to be all in or all out. See the art as separate from the artist or dont.
Jul 1, 2019
I'm not going to spend my time deciding which artists opinions and associations are worth me putting them on mute. It's too complicated to decide where the line be drawn. If a band has one problematic member do we cancel the band? Do we cancel anyone who associates with Chris Brown or Kanye? then anyone who associates with them? It gets very messy real quick and there will always be inconsistencies. The Morrissey/Interpol situation is a good example I think.
Jul 1, 2019
For me, I'm always separating the art as long as the bad stuff isn't clearly being presented within the art. Maybe thats just because it's an easier moral position to consistently stick to though. I'm open to having my mind changed with this stuff.
Jul 1, 2019
I def hear what you are saying. If we forced everyone to take a public opinion about every topic or possibility, then it would probably be hard to get along with or have an appreciation for most anyone. And even a person like Kanye who says some pretty freaking outlandish and narcissistic thing, yet I still have a deep appreciation for his art. I can look past it.
Jul 1, 2019
I guess for me the far-right stuff is just a step too far though. I'm so tired of people who admire trollish behavior, and always try and step behind the banner of satire. I almost have more understanding of the ones who are openly racist, rather than the ones who engage in constant whataboutism. Its like, no I'm not too sensitive, its just that you (the far right person) are too much of an asshole.
Jul 1, 2019
And that isn't too say the far-left isn't up its own ass either, for the record! I have no idea what the answer is... I'm not so sure there even is one at this point. I tell people I'm an independent liberal, 'cause I think that best describes my personal positions. I'm disheartened by the whole spectacle that we have become.
Jul 2, 2019
For better or worse, politics has become trendy. It's turning into a bit of a reality show now. It's all shouting the loudest, beating the other side up and popularizing candidates based on their memeability. Oh well.
thomasny18