Jordaan Mason & The Horse Museum - Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My Head
Feb 1, 2020
One of the most unique albums I've listened to, with what feels like a mini-orchestra backing the project and haunting lyrics making this a haunting/somber experience. The lyrics truly are the star of the show, as it deals with the subjects of gender, sex, the apocalypse, and confusion over your own identity by using grotesque imagery (which made me feel genuinely uncomfortable when listening to it for the first time) and beautiful poetry. This album can be ugly, simple, and confusing, but I think that it uses this to it's advantage to create a beautiful/haunting atmosphere that will stick in my mind. My main complaints are that sometimes the album uses it's lofi aesthetic to it's determent. There are songs where the vocals are pitched up to that point that it's annoying, and I wish that the album experimented more bringing the orchestral instrument to the forefront of some songs (instead of the main guitar most of the time). But damn. On the track "Racehorse: Get Married!" there is this moment near the end where you can hear nothing but the pounding of drums and cymbals. The song has been building up to this moment with poetic chants and sticky harmonies. The themes of the pressure of marriage, conforming to gender norms, and dysphoria are all laced into the lyrics. But it all leads into these drums that sound like the stomping of a horse that's surrounding me, running with no direction. Simple. Beautiful. Apocalyptic. This album will hold a special place in my heart.
Feb 2, 2020
This review was so good that I want to listen to this album now!
msaleoli