Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
Jul 19, 2019
I'm sorry to be the one to bring down the average user score, but this is easily one of the least impressive and least interesting death metal albums I've ever heard. It isn't bad, but it isn't all that great either. It's caught dead in the middle.

This is the first time I've listened to anything Tomb Mold have put out, and, if I'm honest, they haven't done much to convince me to check out the rest of their catalog. Sure, there's some really, REALLY good moments on here, but as a whole, this was just a dull listen. I thought that throughout the entire duration of this thing that the instrumentation was great, with sweet riffs and some wild drum work. The vocals are also very well done; not the best death metal have to offer, but they are definitely death metal vocals.

I guess the main issues lie in this feeling like it has no direction. I'm gaining nothing from listening to this: no enjoyment, nothing. Out of these seven tracks, there were only two or three that really stand out as some truly great and memorable extreme metal songs. But, in the case for most of these, I was bored for the full length of them and just ended up forgetting what they even sounded like. And when you're making death metal of all things, this really shouldn't be the case. From my experience, death metal is one of the most brutal, disgusting, and extremely memorable genres there are. While this album succeeds at being brutal, it fails at being memorable at all. Take for example the opener, Beg For Life. The track is just under seven minutes long and each of the three times I listened to it I was just extremely bored, I wrote nothing down about it in my notes, and even looking back on it now, I remember NOTHING from it. I don't remember how it sounded, I don't remember my thoughts during it: NOTHING! And when you also have pointless tracks that seem to be nothing but noise, like Phosphorene Ultimate, it really proves my point of this being directionless. I mean, I'm extremely against the idea of calling music - especially metal, as that's the genre that this insult is usually directed at - 'noise'. But in the case of Phosphorene Ultimate, that song is just quiet instrumentals being played behind staticy, almost inaudible vocals. While the instrumentals of the track are good enough, the fact that they are quieter than the extremely quiet and staticy voice leaves me at a loss of words to describe it, other than 'noise'.

However, credit where credit is due, because when this is good, it is really good. The title track is great all throughout and is a definite highlight, as well as the final two tracks. Accelerative Phenomenae is another track that is pretty uninspiring for most of its run time, but the final couple of minutes do have some of the best guitar riffs in the whole album. But the song that easily steals the show is the closer, Heat Death. That whole track saved this album for me. I don't think there has ever been a time where I've disliked an album, but a single track comes along and makes me love it so much that I raise my score by 10 points. The instrumentation in Heat Death is so amazing that that song alone makes me at least say I like this album.

Favourite Tracks: Heat Death; Planetary Clairvoyance; Cerulean Salvation

Least Favourite Tracks: Phosphorene Ultimate; Beg For Life
JustSomeGuy's Tags
Jul 19, 2019
"I'm sorry to be the one to bring down the average user score"

Dw, you weren't the only one
Jul 19, 2019
@thomasny18 I didn't even notice your score beforehand, I assumed that I would be giving it the lowest score lol
Jul 19, 2019
@JustSomeGuy yeah, this week has been pretty boring for mainstream releases (just like this month tbh), so I've listening to new releases I usually wouldn't in more interesting weeks to find some gems. Mostly unsuccessful so far.
Jul 19, 2019
@thomasny18 Yeah, this whole month in general has been pretty shitty. The first month of the year where I've been uninterested in pretty much every release.
Jul 20, 2019