Madvillain - Madvillainy
Jun 11, 2019
I really need to listen to the rest of MF DOOM's stuff. He killed it here!

Madvillainy is certainly a classic hip-hop album, and is definitely good. I've seen some people claim it's the best hip-hop album ever made. Now that I've listned to it, do I agree? Well, I do think that there are some that I would call better than this, but this is definitely up there as one of the best I've heard.

It's funny; this is 22 tracks but it doesn't feel that long. Sure, it's under fifty minutes, but I usually have a problem focusing when albums have that many tracks. Yet these guys manage to make 22 tracks that are better and far more consistent than artists who average around 10 tracks a release. I definitely commend it for that, especially since out of these 22 tracks, none of them were boring. None of them were bad. Even the single track that I list as my least favourite, The Illest Villains, was an interesting way of opening the album and made me really interested to see where it was going to go.

I honestly had an extremely difficult time when I was doing my notes. I usually try and keep a rank of the songs to easily see what my favourites and least favourites are, but this was one of the hardest I've had to do yet. This list honestly looks like a complete mess. I still mostly agree with the top and bottom tracks, but the middle took me a long time to sort out. The fact that this was one of the only times I've had this problem shows how much I enjoyed this album.

Accordion was perfect as the first actual song on the album. It really proved to me that this was definitely worth the time to actually listen. Although I don't hate The Illest Villain and I thought it was a unique way to open the album, I honestly wouldn't mind if it had opened with Accordion. Meat Grinder and Bistro were both perfect follow-ups to the aforementioned track, but I didn't think they were the best on the album. Raid and Rainbows really stick out as some of the ones that I enjoyed the most, alongside All Caps and Shadows Of Tomorrow. I thought that Rhinestone Cowboy was definitely up there as one of the best on the album, but in the end I have to say that Accordion remained the best. I also loved the instrumental tracks like Sickfit, Do Not Fire! and Supervillain Theme, but unfortunately none of them made it to made favourites list. I just wanted to mention them because I really loved them all and they were all so close to my favourites.

I can't say that I loved this as much as other projects, but I definitely loved this nonetheless. Seriously, if you haven't listened to this yet, do it.

Favourite Tracks: Accordion; Rhinestone Cowboy; Rainbows; Raid; All Caps; Shadows Of Tomorrow; American's Most Blunted

Least Favourite Track: The Illest Villains

Now for the important question, do I prefer Madvillainy or Piñata? Well, as you can see by my score, I loved these both a lot. Damn near equally. I mean, I gave them the same score, just below a 9/10. I loved both projects for different reasons, but to keep this short: I thought Piñata was more fun, but Madvillainy was much more intriguing. Madvillainy gave me the much more memorable experience, but I can see myself coming to Piñata more. But there's one thing that made me decide which I liked more, and only by a small margin. And that is: MF DOOM impressed me a lot more here than anyone on Piñata. I adore both albums damn near equally, but there's something about that guy that just made me fall in love with this project. I mean, I haven't listened to anything else by MF DOOM, but this record has really pushed me to want to find more of his work.
Jun 11, 2019
Why you gotta hurt my feelings like this ;(

Great review nevertheless though!
Jun 12, 2019
@thomasny18 Thank you! And I'm sorry, but it did take me a long time to choose between them. I honestly love them both so much.
Jun 12, 2019
Rest of DOOM's shit is mad
tynhe