Black Sabbath - Seventh Star
Jun 15, 2019
Seventh Star is the first and only album to feature Glenn Hughes as the lead vocalist, better known for being the bassist for Deep Purple. I'm not gonna lie, I did like some of what was presented here, but overall I thought this was the groups most generic and least interesting outing yet.

To act like there would be no good moments would be a lie, because there were honestly a few songs that I quite enjoyed. The title track as well as the closer were two really good tracks which proved that this line up was just as capable as their previous teams. Those alongside tracks like Turn To Stone really made this album tolerable.

Unfortunately, I would say that this is their worst album instrumentally. The guitar work on any of the songs here didn't impress me in the slightest, which is a first for Black Sabbath. Usually I'm able to forgive not liking the vocals with these guys just because the instrumentalists are insane, but here they just felt so generic and uninteresting. That coupled with the fact that I really don't care for Hughes' vocal performance really dragged this down to be one of the worst projects I've heard from the group thus far. I wouldn't say Hughes' vocals were as bad as Gillan's in Born Again, but these were still some of the most boring in the band's history.

I really wanted to love this album. There were quite a few tracks that I really liked, but in the end this was just an average album.

Favourite Tracks: Seventh Star; In Memory; Turn To Stone; Heart Like A Wheel; In For The Kill

Least Favourite Tracks: Sphinx (The Guardian); No Stranger To Love; Danger Zone