Black Sabbath - Headless Cross
Jun 16, 2019
This is probably the most underrated and overlooked project I've heard from Black Sabbath thus far.

Headless Cross is the second Black Sabbath record to feature Tony Martin on vocals. I have to say, he impressed me so much more here than he did on The Eternal Idol. While I did praise him on that album for being one of the better Sabbath vocalists, I think that it's this album that proves that he could actually rival the more famous singers of the group. His performance on songs like Black Moon and the closer, Cloak And Dagger, in particular were honestly some of the best I've heard from him so far.

I think that the instrumentation on the album is a bit of a mixed bag, however. I absolutely adored it on tracks like Black Moon, Nightwing and especially on When Death Calls. But the problem is that for other tracks like Kill In The Spirit World and Call Of The Wild is that it's just downright forgettable. It's not bad, but I think that it's the instrumentals that make me just complete forget about those songs' sound. Tony Martin's vocals are without question the most consistent thing about this record.

I would also like to take a second to commend Brian May's feature on When Death Calls. His guitar solo on that song was fantastic. I was worried when I saw that a guy who's famous for being in a glam-rock band had an appearance on one of the tracks, but he proved himself more than capable to pull of a metal guitar solo.

Favourite Tracks: When Death Calls; Headless Cross; Black Moon; Nightwing; Cloak And Dagger

Least Favourite Tracks: The Gates Of Hell; Kill In The Spirit World