Black Sabbath - Tyr
Jun 16, 2019
While I think Tyr is far from Black Sabbath's worst work, this is definitely one of their most boring and messy releases I have heard thus far.

Just as an example about how messy this album is, the song Feels Good To Me wasn't even supposed to be on the album. They only put it on here solely because the group wanted it to be released as a single. As a result, towards the end of the album you have a song so tonally out of place from the rest of the songs, only for it to move onto yet another song that is more like what they had played before said track.

This is by far Sabbath's most different album. The subject matter is so baffling coming off of an album as lyrically dark as Headless Cross. Funnily enough, even Tony Iommi was confused when Tony Martin had come off of Headless Cross with lyrics about Satan, only to then come back here with lyrics about Nordic Gods. While I'm not completely against the idea of a band like Black Sabbath to make an album about this subject, I just think it was executed so poorly music-wise.

I just find so much of this boring. A few highlights on this album would definitely be the opener Anno Mundi, a track that I can honestly call fantastic. Tony Martin's vocal performance was great all throughout the album, but on that track he definitely stood out more. The instrumentals for that song were also great. Valhalla was also a track that I loved, and honestly it was likely solely because of the heaviness of the track. And that transition from Odin's Court to Valhalla was just perfect. But then there are songs like The Sabbath Stones and The Law Maker which were just downright boring. I found no enjoyment out of either of those tracks, and funnily enough the former song ended up being placed fairly high on my track ranking. That should tell you how much I think of most of the songs on the album. The aforementioned Feels Good To Me honestly could have been a good song if it was on literally any other Sabbath release. Here it feels so out of place and that sudden change in tone is far too jarring for it to be anywhere high on any list.

In the end, I feel like Tyr really could have worked, but there was just so much wrong about it that makes this one of my least favourite outings from the band yet.

Favourite Tracks: Anno Mundi; Valhalla; Jerusalem