Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer
Jun 16, 2019
Dehumanizer shows Ronnie James Dio return on vocals for the first time in eleven years. This is also the final time he appears on a Sabbath record (unless you count The Devil You Know from the band Heaven & Hell as a Sabbath record). I gotta say it, I'm really happy to be hearing Dio again. While I think that Ozzy is the better lyricist, I just love Dio's performance on all of his releases to be far superior to Ozzy's. And while I think this is the weakest written Dio record by far, his performance is so good that I can completely look past any problems I had with the lyrics.

On Dehumanizer, there is actually very little I dislike about it. There were a couple of songs that I thought could have been much better, but in the end I honestly enjoyed all of the songs. In particular, Computer God, Master Of Insanity, Too Late, and especially I were all fantastic songs. Dio's performance alongside these brilliant instrumentals are all things I adore about the Dio era of Black Sabbath, and I'm so glad they were able to perform this well again so long after Dio initially left the group.

While I do love most of these songs, I do have to admit that this is far from the groups best work. As mentioned before, this is the weakest Dio release lyrically. And honestly, there were a couple of tracks that did feel like they dragged a bit too much. TV Crimes and Time Machine were both tracks that didn't impress me too much, and were just forgettable and felt like they could have been a bit shorter. But in the end, I thought that this album was pretty good and by far the best release they've had in a decade.

Favourite Tracks: I; Too Late; Master Of Insanity; Computer God; Letters From Earth

Least Favourite Tracks: TV Crimes; Time Machine