Joji - SMITHEREENS
Nov 4, 2022
Joji has always been an artist that has had sparks of genius through singles but would end up releasing albums that are merely decent or ok. However, with this album, he sticks the landing for the entire album. The album feels like an amalgamation of some of the trap/art pop sounds of Nectar and lo-fi, “watery” aesthetic of In Tongues. The themes of the album aren’t anything new with Joji going over love and heartbreak topics but the thing that makes it stand on its own is that Joji dives into some alt pop and acoustic sounds as well with songs like Glimpse of Us, Die For You, and Dissolve. My only complaint would be that I honestly wish this was a little bit longer. I understand that short albums for the most part can equal to a lot more concision, but honestly 2 or 3 more song on this would’ve made this album a lot better because I feel Joji still had a lot more to show us. Still, the production on here gleams with personality and Joji’s vocals are gentle and emotionally flavorful.

Best Songs: Glimpse of Us, Die For You, YUKON INTERLUDE, Dissolve, 1 AM FREESTYLE

Worst Song: BLAHBLAHBLAH DEMO