Charli XCX - Charli
Nov 8, 2019
After listening to most of Charli's discography, this has become even more of a failure. She has removed everything interesting in her new sound. Vroom Vroom is the start of this change and it worked. It maintained a nice balance between the experimental elements of Sophie's production and relatively standard electropop hooks. Number 1 Angel is where she sold out. Her attitude and the PC music aspects were nonexistent. Her vocals and a few good hooks saved that project from being anything outstandingly bad.

Now, this album... let me take it back a bit. Her last studio album "Sucker" released in mid-December of 2014 is a near-perfect pop album. OK, IM BRINGING IT UP AGAIN but I need to explain why I love Sucker so much. everythingisgreataboutithahahahahahahah. I love it so much. The most crucial aspect of that record is Charli's persona and IT'S ADORABLE AND I WILL LOVE IT FOREVER. Enough with insane rantings, we can get to the album I'm reviewing.

Charli is everything good about XCX's music but it suddenly has disappeared! The vocals are painfully basic. The overly used vocal effects take out most of the emotion in these performances. It is clear that Charli is not testing herself vocally, she is playing as safe as humanly possible.

The production lacks any real punch. The Bubblegum Bass aspects sound incredibly watered down when they rarely appear. "White Mercedes" and "Silver Cross" are generic tuneless tunes that are incredibly messy sounding. Especially "Silver Cross" that one has some of the worst production in her entire discography. The production ranges from bland (Gone) to Total Garbage (Click).

Charli's lyricism hasn't been consistently great but this is just boring. The same old tropes as usual. The hooks on this album aren't very good. I really miss all the great hooks from Sucker when I "try" to listen to this album. This project doesn't have a 'Gold Coins" or anything near that, tbh most of the songs on this album would automatically be better in the instrumental style of Sucker. "1999" would be an absolute banger if it had some guitar riffs and an actual personality.

Speaking of personality, Charli's musical personality has been lost for a few years now. The core element of her music has disintegrated into the void like Jason Derulo's career. This album infuriates me and I shouldn't talk about it anymore. Next Level Charli more like NOT GOOD!💥

Best Track: Warm
Worst Tracks: All of the other songs but on multiple scales of BAD
ok boomer
Nov 8, 2019
ok boomer god you're so fucking wrong i could kick you
Nov 9, 2019