JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs
Sep 14, 2019 (updated Jul 15, 2020)
☆☆☆☆ 1/2

JPEGMAFIA is what happens when artists are brave enough and won't hesitate to define themselves the way they want to, and would be better off that way... rather than be defined by an industry with their own ideas of what rappers ought to be.

And here he is again, fresh from all the dank ocean of creativity from the last record; "Veteran".

I'll be real, "All My Heroes Are Cornballs" is perhaps just as cutting edge as everything else JPEG's done in the past, but even more surprising... it could be even greater than previous projects he's had his disgusting shit-posting hands on.

Have you noticed just how memorable many of the cuts off this thing really are? A song like "Free The Frail" for example, I've just had my ears detoxed due to how sticky and how this song alone can really be an earworm. That track is a fuckin' substance.

I'm grateful the album has more captivating and snappy tracks such as that one, but it's honestly put to shame by a song like "PTSD", the title track, and especially "Grimy Waifu", which is a song that reminds me just why I fell in love with this artist's personality in the first place, he is still as witty and audacious as ever... and still, he manages to lock you in with an immense level of unpredictable nature.

Though it's not without its awkward faults. AMHAC is an something I wish utilized more of the ideas it had under its belt, a good portion of the album have songs that are far too short to justify their existence. Tracks like "BasicBitchTearGas" and "Lifes Hard, Here's a Song About Sorrel" are a blink once and you'll miss it kind of thing. Really pass to quickly by the listener's ear for them to have a real impression, as incredibly produced as every cut off this record is... I would've loved more time.

And that's really my only critique of it. Other than that, one cannot ignore just how seductive and uncomfortably comfortable this album is. And one does not simply brush off the multi-faceted beats. The full packaging of this thing is truly something to be reckoned with.

BEST: Jesus Forgive Me, I Am a Thot, Kenan Vs. Kel, Beta Male Strategies, Jpegmafia Type Beat, Grimy Waifu, Ptsd, Rap Grow Old & Die x No Child Left Behind, All My Heroes Are Cornballs, BBW, PRONE!, Thot Tactics, Free the Frail, Post Verified Lifestyle, BasicBitchTearGas, Dots Freestyle Remix, Buttermilk Jesus Type Beat, Papi I Missed U

WEAKEST: Lifes Hard, Here's a Song About Sorrel