Kid Cudi - Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven
Jul 26, 2019 (updated Aug 20, 2019)
AIGHT!

I have never hated an album more than I hated Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven.

I recall sitting down and letting the album play out while in my room. It was the track, "Man In The Night", the 3rd cut off the album.

I recall seething and revolting over the hideous vocals by Scott and these repetitive and somewhat grotesque guitar riffs that began to torment my ears, it wasn't until the end of it... the Beavis and Butthead skit that allowed me to breathe, sit back... and think carefully about what I just sat through.

Never before has music ever gotten under my skin like this album did. How we got here was a mystery to me. The release of this album-

*The existence of this album was confusing and infuriating. And I wasn't the only one alone with that thought though.

Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven is now one of the most humiliated and reviled works of music of the decade. With even some of the most loyal Cudi fans being indifferent towards it. Many critics and listeners calling the album; 'unlistenable', 'repetitive' and 'bland'.

What happened? What was the appeal that grabbed so many people before?

Scott Ramon Seguro Mescudi is a rapper, singer, 'Man on the Moon' from Ohio, who undoubtedly changed the landscape of Hip-Hop and grabbed the hearts of millions of kids and young artists... for many, he was an 'older brother', a 'teacher' who often showed emotion and experiences in his life sonically. For the time, especially.... It was rare, it was rare to find an 'everyday man' in a genre lead by macho characters. Ever since his mixtape, he had a sound that was alien and vulnerable.

His incredible debut album, 'Man on the Moon: The End of Day', put him on the map and showcased his ability to convey many emotions, his second album, 'Man on the Moon: The Legend of Mr. Rager' discussed even darker themes.

I don't want to get too nostalgic, or emotional, but when people say; 'I would have killed myself if it weren't for Cudi', or 'Kid Cudi saved my life'. They genuinely mean it. High School is a weird time for a lot of people's lives. Cudi's music was magic that had the problems fade away, it was medicine that helped me and a lot of people get through the most difficult times. There's a reason why he means so much to so many.

So... fast forward to 2015, and things have changed.

The mythical, and other-worldly sound had disappeared. And expectations couldn't of been more dramatically killed off by the intro that was, 'Edge of The Earth/Post Mortem Boredom'.

It's basically worthless. For the 1st song off your album, you really did a good job of making your listener's scratch their heads in uncertainty. Not to mention the vocals on the 2nd half of this train wreck ARE SO. FUCKING. UGLY. You cannot look at me in the eyes and tell me that his singing is at least half-decent. This stagnant guitar is dreadful. Fuck this.

CONFUSED! is kind of memorable, this genuinely one of the better cuts off the album. Though that's not saying much, this song gets extremely stale after just 2 minutes.

This guitar riff on Screwed is not a good loop, it's just left such a bad taste in my mouth for everything else.

In Fade 2 Red, Cudi reminds me that Punk Rock is ass with his mediocre voice.

Adventures is like: "Her Vagina is moist and warm", very sincere writing there Scott.

The Nothing is a fucking joke, did he even record this?

AMEN... And there you have it. The worst vocal performance by Scott, wow. I was smiling like an idiot at how shit his singing was. Unreal.

Handle With Care... This track is actually great, the subject matter, the morbid performance. The hums and moans actually work. Wow.. if only the Beavis and Butthead skit didn't kill off any redeeming quality the Song had.

You get the point. From every corner of this nightmarish album, there's something stopping it from being truly entertaining, the skits are soulless and add NOTHING to this album. It's boring beyond comprehension. It's not exciting, it's not engaging. Not something I could ever take seriously. I'd even go as far as to say that it's torture. Like going legs first into a sawmill.

You know what? Maybe a sawmill is an exaggeration, it's more like being choked by your hero, but not even in a kinky way... just... ugh, forget it.

On this album, Scott is being annoying. He wasn't the 'everyday man' any longer. He spoke, and you scoffed, leaving him to his mumbling in the corner.

Hmmm. . .

On that note, I think this album is okay!

I understand that this is sudden, especially after all of the negative shit I've spewed prior, but upon re-listening to this album. I think it's fine.

I do still stand by all the criticisms I've given it, especially the vocal performances... But Cudi is okay now. He's off the drugs. In 2018, he's released what I think is the best Hip-Hop album of the decade (yeah, even better than TPAB). And with Entergalactic on the way, which has potential to be his best work since Man on The Moon... things are looking really bright for Scott.

Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven was an obstacle in my life. It was also a hole that Scott was trapped in, something that would seem impossible to escape from.

But it's not anymore. With that, I see Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven as what it really is:

A perfectly listenable, wannabe Punk-Rock album about a guy expressing his pain.

Does it deserve that user score? Probably, but I've noticed things I've never paid attention to before, like how wild in nature 'Man in The Night' is, or atmospheric this album is. And if it really wanted to... It can be kind of catchy from time to time. 'Handle With Care' is still great, more cuts like it should of happened.

This album never changed. I did, and if you were pissed off with how bad it was the first time, or if you've just NEVER gotten around to listening to it... give it a shot

You might like it.

BEST!: Handle With Care

WEAKEST?!: LOOOOL

VIBES - ■WILDERNESS IN HELL■
KIDWITHGUNs's Tags
This is the 1st good review I've made in a long time
Jul 26, 2019
Glad you are back. Loved this review!!!!
@okcomputer12127 thank you so much! 💙
Jul 26, 2019
thanks. also I do think speeding bullet 2 heaven is not really that bad, I mean just like you were saying. there are some high points on this album.
Man in the Night and Judgemental Cunt are unironically bangers