David Bowie -
MASTAPEECE

But before I actually start with the review. I have to address that this will be the last time you see me on this site. I've realized that as fun.. and as fascinating as AOTY has been with all these exciting and downright brilliant people on here, I still feel as though this website has very slowly taken control of my life. I've developed an unhealthy habit of logging on EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Thinking to myself "what came out today?" or "what did this person think of that review I put effort in the night before?" or "what does this person think about my favourite albums?" Expecting something crazy to happen.
I know, that's the point. Discussing works of art with hundreds of other people, but it's draining me... it's not world-ending, but I guess I just need some time away. I've got a fantasy series to put out there and exams are around the corner.

I've listened to 200 albums since June (I think), and some of these have become genuine experiences and highlights of MY LIFE. I've loved writing, I've loved the responses, I've loved the invasions (those never got old), I've loved the reactions... all of that was fulfilling and always put a smile on my face.

On a different note... THIS ALBUM IS A MASTAPEECE BABY!

So for a change I've decided to do something different for this review:

DO RESEARCH BEFOREHAND

"Heroes" is the 12th studio album by the EXCELLENT, multi-instrumentalist, producer, space oddity, singer-songwriter DAVID BOWIE. This installment to Bowie's immaculate discography continues down the road of experimental, alien, epic art rock masterpieces.

Like I've said before; Bowie's discography is indescribable, unlike any other artist. I STILL cannot wrap my head around the fact that since Space Oddity, (his second studio album) he's continued to craft one project after another (each with their own tiny world of magic, and Bowie improving with each release), and now to me his catalogue feels like a box of crayons. Just SO much variety and diversity between the lot of them.

But enough praising the man's music. Let's compliment this guy's songs.

Front to back, Heroes is undeniably an experience, a cathartic one at that. This album has a lot of "Cracked Actor" moments. This is what I've decided to call songs where Bowie basically *snaps*. Where his performance with just his voice manages to lock the listener inside a mythical realm... and you're trapped... AND YOU'RE NEVER LEAVING.

Like I was trying to say. This is (in my opinion) Bowie's most supernatural and superb performance he's had yet. This is something only HE could do.
The track "Heroes" has these oddly therapeutic and pleasurable shrieks at the half-way point.

"THOUGH NOTHING WILL TAKE THEM AWAY!"

My god, he's come so far. He doesn't even sound like himself from 10 years ago.

And it's not just this song, it's "Beauty and the Beast" and "Joe the Lion" before this that make the opener so badass.

Speaking of Beauty and the Beast, this is a paranormal 1st track with a bizarre synth drone lurking at the back. It's not the main focus of the track, this is actually David himself. He makes this track as cinematic as possible, the chorus is tangible and the harmonica solo at the minute and a half point is other-wordly.

Joe the Lion follows pretty damn well. Feeling like a fusion between something from Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs (and yet sounding like NOTHING like those 2 records).

In fact, the first 6 tracks of this album are so.. Overwhelming, intense and world-ending that it probably justifies the 3 track break with "Sense of Doubt", "Moss Garden" and "Neuköln", all being essential. Flawlessly crafting a desolate, empty state of mind. It's kind of like Low, except here it feels far longer and sinister.

[ Another thing I don't mention in Bowie reviews (or at least don't go in depth for) is his lyricism. Deconstructing the lyrics unveil a side to Bowie I've never seen before. Now he sees himself as his own hero, he's the damsel, except there's no one to save him. (Or at least that's how my stupid brain sees it ]

And The Secret Life of Arabia closes this album with style and grace. It's like the ending from Plastic Beach, this has the atmosphere, this has the mood of triumph, it's well-deserved and it's put together flawlessly.

Experience, adventure and beauty. If you can offer those 3 things as an album, even if you're flawed. You're perfect in my eyes.

And there you have it folks. That's the end of my AOTY career.

I would like to give a shoutout (before I let myself out) to (way too many) spectacular people on the site:

@ItsJustArcherr

@charlie17
@Plats
@ThrowBackG
@hmj
@thomasny18 (almost didn't add em', this person had the balls to say Piñata was better than Madvillainy, but he likes Plastic Beach so he's safe)
@Toasterqueen12
@smallpeeble

and @PipePanic, my first ever follower.

Oh yeah and the rest of my followers I love y'all.

K. Thx. Bai! ๐Ÿ’™

๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”
KIDWITHGUNs's Tags
May 22, 2019
I'm sad to see one of the best users on this site leave, but I'm glad that you're leaving for yourself more than anything. Also, it's good to see you leaving with one of the best reviews on the site.
May 22, 2019
Yo, I appreciate the love man. Thank you so much!
May 22, 2019
Sad to see you go, cause you made some great reviews and were just a great person to have on the site, but hey, whatever you need to do that you think has to be done I guess. Also great review fam, and thanks for the super duper secret special awesome shoutout lol
May 22, 2019
... And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
May 22, 2019
But for real man, I’m gonna miss you dude. You are one of my favorite users on the website.
May 22, 2019
Farewell man, it's been a great ride. Thanks for the shout, but much more importantly, thank you for the positivity and for being a part of the AOTY community!
May 23, 2019
Ayy, guys. Sorry for the late response.

But thanks for all the kind-hearted replies!
May 23, 2019
I feel ya man. I still check regularly, but my reviews have slowed down a bit. Had to just go back and listen to old favorites this year and put less emphasis on minor new releases personally. You take care. Hope to see your positivity and enthusiasm around here again someday.

And yeah, Bowie IS God.
May 23, 2019
I'm so sorry I only just saw this now. I heavily relate to the website taking control of your life part. I definitely have that issue too. I wish you the best of luck with everything. You make this website a better place, but I completely understand the decision to leave.

I still think Piñata is better than Madvillainy though.
May 24, 2019
holy shit i cant believe i missed this. i totally know where you're coming from tbh, and ive thought the same thing myself. you've been a great fuckin reviewer on this site, thanks for being an awesome part of the community too.
May 28, 2019
loved your reviews. i don't get as excited as i have 4 followers and 2 likes for me is a lot. i just check on regularly to review an album that ive listened to in my free time or to look for one. your reviews were one of the reasons for me to sign up though, so yeah, it will be strange not seeing you write anymore.
May 28, 2019
What a way to go out. You’ll be missed man, but I’m glad you’re taking the responsible route for us. Hope life goes well for ya โค๏ธ
May 28, 2019
Ayy c ya man this was beautiful.
So did you guys see the hidden message, or...?
I did but I’m too disappointed in you to acknowledge