Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
May 5, 2019
This album’s really important to me, and while some of the songs have shrunk on me over time, I still love the album. It has so many amazing songs, and only a few that have lost their impact on me over time. Almost every song is a blast to listen to, and the lyrics are really good and witty, though not to the same level as their previous album. A real stand-our lyric for me would be the line “tongues on the sockets of electric dreams” from Golden, but that’s mainly because Electric Dreams is my mum’s favourite song, so that lyric makes me laugh because of how opposing it is to the song. One really interesting track is You’re Crashing, But You’re No Wave, because it sets up a kind of court room narrative with different characters, and gets you invested in the story. The implementation of screaming from Pete Wentz on The Carpal Tunnel Of Love is actually quite well done, and Patrick Stump’s vocals are at their best here as well. I’d say this is certainly one of the highlights of mid-2000s pop punk, but unlike many FOB fans would have you believe, it’s not their best album, especially from this era of Fall Out Boy.

Favourite Tracks: This Ain’t A Scene It’s An Arms Race, The Carpal Tunnel Of Love, I’ve Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None In My Fingers

Least Favourite Track: Bang The Doldrums