Against All Logic - 2017 - 2019
Feb 8, 2020
2017 - 2019 took me by surprise a bit. As was the case for a lot of people, 2012 - 2017 was my introduction to the world of Nicolas Jaar. It was a fun record, full of tons of memorable house tunes that wouldn't sound out of place on a dancefloor in the least.

Being the naive person that I am, I was assuming that this new album here was very much going to be a pure follow up to that record. I was expecting to hear more of the same, and I was looking forward to it because I really did enjoy his last release. Much to my surprise, before the end of the opener, Fantasy, I had already realized that my expectations weren't exactly going to pan out the way I'd imagined they would.

Without going into too much detail, the one thing that stood out to me most in comparison to 2012 - 2017 is that instrumentally, this sounds a lot more abrasive at times than anything that's come from A.A.L. in the past. It was noticeable in the drums on the opener, but it's even more apparent on the track Deeeeeeefers. This entire song is just a barrage of intense beats, but unfortunately, for me at least, that's all it is. It's not bad persay, but it just did nothing for me. "If You Can’t Do It Good, Do It Hard", however, is. It's not much weaker instrumentally wise than Deeeeeeefers, but holy fuck that vocal sample is trash. It's mixed way too loud, but that's not even the main problem I have with it. My problem is that it's just annoying and doesn't fit into the song AT ALL. It's plain obnoxious, and beats an already dead horse of a song into something even worse.

It really wasn't until the penultimate track that I found a song that I can picture myself coming back to. Penny boasts a great beat and a fantastic composition overall, and it's my favorite song on here without a doubt. On the whole, I'd say that 2017 - 2019 is a release that hardcore Nicolas Jaar fans will have no trouble getting behind. But personally I left this album wishing I had gotten more out of this. It's not bad by any means, but I just didn't vibe with it as much as I thought I was going to considering how much I enjoyed 2012 - 2017.
Comments