Autechre - SIGN
Oct 17, 2020
The lesser IDM duo on the Warp label is back with a new album! And it's boring. Truth be told I'm not a huge Autechre fan to begin with. I like their debut but I was hugely let down by "Confield" which is considered one of their classic releases, and "SIGN" left me unimpressed as well.

I can't pin down exactly what this album is missing. There's a very obvious focus on ambient soundscapes, but none of them really pull me in and keep me interested. It's like they're not even there most of the time. Add to that fact none of these songs should go on for as long as they do, and overall "SIGN" just goes in one ear and out the other. Shorten things up and devise some better ideas and then maybe you've got a halfway decent record, but in this form it misses the mark.

Perhaps Autechre just isn't for me, but I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel just yet. Hearing 3 albums in a discography of 23 is not nearly big enough of a sample size to come to sturdy conclusion. I'll give them a few more tries because I really want to like these guys. Fingers crossed.
Oct 20, 2020
I respect your review and agree with most of it, but calling them "lesser IDM duo" was kinda offensive. Peace dude.
Pickle