Loraine James - Reflection
Jun 9, 2021
I was anticipating this album immensely. Everything out of Hyperdub over the pandemic has been high quality, interesting and innovative. Loraine James was no different, her Darkstar - Wolf remix was one of my favorite tracks of the past 18 months.

However I dived into this LP on Fridays release date, thought maybe I was in the right mood for it and tried it twice over again yesterday. It was bleak, maybe a bit too rude to say but - effortless in some parts. I was excited to see Nova as a feature, which was definitely a highlight on the project, sounding very similar to a Sinjin Hawke 'Bussgun' with Killa P, the auto tune fluctuating vocals work perfectly, but again, the beat is too minimal and doesn't bring too much to the table, Nova carries this track.

Going through, the album feels like a phone losing battery, as if she is running out of drum samples to use in her limited usage folder. I am disappointed in some ways, although I have heard some awful albums this year, this is not one of them. The sound of Loraine James has always been interesting and I will give it merit from not straying away from the sound, she has kept her signature on it and it works, but not here.
Comments