The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form
May 28, 2020
Fuck what anyone else says, this album is damn near a masterpiece.

This is The 1975's The Life of Pablo, there's so much going on that you can't tell if this is amazingly crafted or the biggest mess you've ever heard. Notes on a Conditional Form is the weirdest thing the band has ever dropped, easily. I've been following their music since their self-titled in 2013. NOACF has the best opener out of any album they've put out, the Greta Thunberg inclusion is a big statement enough, but I feel as though with age her appearance will be just as defining.

Every single that dropped was magnificent. People, Me and You Together Song, and If You're Too Shy are among the bands' absolute best. I love the freakout in People, the dreamy aesthetic of Frail State of Mind, If You're Too Shy, and I Think There's Something You Should Know, and even the instrumental and dance tracks. The album seems to have a looming sense of late 90's and 2000's alt-pop and indie too (Jesus Christ 2005). It's almost as if this album went through multiple decades and handpicked their favorite aspects of each generation.

A lot of people complain about Matty's self-centered lyrics and the promotion of the album. Just shut up and listen to the music. If you aren't down with it don't listen. If the promotional aspects of When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go affected my overall listening experience then it'd be scored much lower.

I don't know much else of what needs to be said about Notes on a Conditional Form other than I love it. I think people will change their minds eventually on this album, but in the mean time I'm gonna listen to this album again and again throughout the year.

As for best and worst tracks I don't really hate anything on the record. I either like it or REALLY like it. Check it out if you're interested!
Comments