AOTY 2018
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
Nov 30, 2018 (updated Dec 1, 2018)
Edit: Alright to clarify, I wrote this in the middle of my anger and I should have stated that I really enjoyed a lot of moments on this album despite how negative my review comes off. Their was certainly great potential in a lot of these tracks, but I felt that none of that could be actualized given how short this thing is. Keep the same tracklist and extend this from 25 minutes to 35-40 minutes, and I would totally get the hype. It just feels unfinished.

Yeah I'm actually angry over this album. IDLSIDGO set a pretty high bar for me. And here we are over 3 years later, with what is essentially a demo tape. None of these tracks exceed 2 minutes. Half of them you can't even hear Earl's voice over the instrumental. I tried multiple different outputs, it sounds just as poorly mixed on every device. This is just lazy. The title of this mixtape blatantly tells you how lazy Earl was with this lmao. How can you be so in denial that you see blatant laziness as "experimenting"? This isn't experimental. Earl legitimately didn't care.
Dec 1, 2018
Actually it sounds like he did but he purposely distoretd it to create a sense of being destroyed. I actually think it sounds better being recorded on a potato.
ain't you dizzy lmfaoo
Nahhhhhh
Dec 1, 2018
As much as I love SRS, I totally get you (I mean, I also made fun of it's identity; a random, half assed lo-fi snippet tape)...

Do think that this sound was a stylistic choice (so not only because of laziness), but wouldn't claim that Earl's train of thought was very deep at the time he decided for that...

It's kinda stupid when people don't get if someone dislikes such an polarizing project...
Dec 1, 2018
thanks for getting where im coming from. As negative as my review is, I should have clarified I enjoyed a lot of moments on here. I just felt a lot of this potential i felt on these tracks could have been fleshed out more, and that never happened.