James Blake - Assume Form
Feb 16, 2019
Nevermind. How coincidental it clicked on Valentines Day. This album is incredible. A great break in the monotonous sadness everywhere. James is happy. He has found true love. The appreciation he displays across these tracks is inspiring and has led me to introspect. I have something similar to what James describes on this album. Not the same life circumstances or struggles. But a common aspect that takes me away from those struggles and encourages me to overcome and that forgives and tells me its okay to make mistakes. Someone that stands by you for all of your silly ambitions and depressive episodes.

James' self-awareness on Assume Form is very interesting if you're familiar with his discography. He seems to reflect on his near constant depressive state shown throughout his whole discography and in a way repents for it. He realizes that those feelings were momentary and that life moved on, despite his doubts. Much of this album acts as a confessional to not only James' SO but also his audience. He explores the mental states he found himself in and how those problems worked out. Many of these tracks just show James reveling in his current state of bliss. The trance-inducing instrumentals really emphasize this bliss.

I really don't mind Mile High or Tell Them any more. They're certainly the weaker tracks on the album, but they serve a purpose and are by no means bad. The Andre feature has grown on me immensely, and the Rosalia feature remains outstanding. I'm considering doing a track by track analysis of this soon, but for now I'll leave it here.

Ultimately, this album is a "fuck you" to depression and an acceptance of love. It's something I think many of us need to consider doing.

80/100 (Excellent)
Feb 16, 2019
Very well said!! I'm gonna have to give this one a few more listens to.
Feb 16, 2019
OH finallyyyy. I adore your wording on the record's overall theme.

..and yeah Tell Them needs more love. It's certainly not representative of his style but it slaps toooo damn hard
Feb 17, 2019