Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Aug 31, 2020
hahahahahah

illinois, is the 4th studio album from indie-pop mastermind, sufjan stevens and it is my favourite album ever, no cap. i am not joking, litterally. i think this album is perfect. actually, like perfect. no flaws. perfect. i could honestly go on and on about this album all day and thats what i'm going to do, so expect a really long review now.

i honestly believe that it is impossible to review this masterpiece fully, and reviewing it is honestly blasphemy. but, its my favourite album of all time, and even though its perfect, and even though any words that are humanly possible to give would be underrating it, i will try, here. right now.

frick. writers block.

edit: just kidding lol.

sufjan stevens' voice is absolutely beautiful, the softness of it perfectly fits in with the absolutely amazing instrumentation. this album is like a trip to a museum, with tons of beautfiully crafted roman sculptures and everywhere you walk around you there are these plain white statues, and even though they are white and not colourful, they feel colourful, you can feel the heart and soul he is pouring into this songs. and even it its core, some of these songs may be simple, and not have many different things going on but it feels vibrant it feels colourful, it feels like a garden of flowers, with a mesmorising sunset, it feels like you are there, sitting on a rock taking photos, maybe eating ice cream with your family, looking at this pulchritudinous view, taking in the stunning sight that you are seeing and just enjoying it, while in reality you are just sitting in your overpriced chair that your parents got you and listening to some obscure album that you are only really listening to because some people you dont even know said they liked it on some website that no-one uses. this album takes the most barebones, the most boring, the most flavourless and turns it into a perfect, dream trip, one that you would never forget, and this album is one that you will never forget, one masterpiece. don't listen to this album if you are planning to listen to anything else anytime soon, because this is barely an album, its an obsession, this album is like a drug, you want to stop it, but you can't, just because its so great. i never understood people that said records, books or movies took them into a differnet place, but this album is the only one that i can say took me into two whole worlds, the
cataclysmal world of its own, and my own, perfect, beautiful land. thank you, sufjan, thank you for making this masterpiece. thank you for opening my eyes to what music could be.

thank you for everything.

you can try to find something wrong with this album, but you realise that you cannot underestimate the amazingness of illinois, and anything that is not a 10/10 review is just you being straight up mean.

fav tracks: Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!'
Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)
John Wayne Gacy, Jr
Jacksonville
A Short Reprise for Mary Todd, Who Went Insane, but for Very Good Reasons
Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!
One Last 'Whoo-Hoo!' for the Pullman
Chicago
Casimir Pulaski Day
To the Workers of the Rock River Valley Region, I Have an Idea Concerning Your Predicament
The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts
Prairie Fire That Wanders About
A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze
The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!
They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!
Let's Hear That String Part Again, Because I Don't Think They Heard It All the Way Out in Bushnell
In This Temple as in the Hearts of Man for Whom He Saved the Earth
The Seer's Tower
The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier – Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)
Riffs and Variations on a Single Note for Jelly Roll, Earl Hines, Louis Armstrong, Baby Dodds, and the King of Swing, to Name a Few
Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run

least fav: lol