This is probably the strangest Perfume Genius album. I understand that it's meant to be a contemporary dance piece, but it functions on it's own as an abstract, dreamlike experience that features some of the oddest compositions Mike has ever laid to tape, with a really jerky structure to tie them all together. One moment we have a surreal dream pop odyssey in the form of "Pop Song", a minimal dance opus with "Eye in the Wall", a reggae doom crossover in the title track, a jazzy lounge electro-fusion cut in "Photograph", terrifying ambient in the coming track amidst the other genre-fusing modern classical/art pop pieces. Perfume Genius is no stranger to genre crossovers, lord knows his last album was full of them, but Ugly Season takes those to a new extreme, crafting something that hardly feels like an album and more like a Lynchian exercise in twisted beauty, that takes the most demented pleasures of human nature, and personifies them to evoke a confused tenderness from them. Tracks like Run Me Through and My Body are examples of terror within larger expressions of love and devotion, but Ugly Season proves that the two extremes are closer than we would like to believe.
Comments