Static Dress - Rouge Carpet Disaster
May 18, 2022
May 2022 Reviews:

Static Dress's long awaited debut (no, apparently that interlude filled album doesn't count for some reason) is finally here. I usually like to poke fun when a lot of people hype up or don't hype up certain projects and so in the spirit of that effort, I'll make a statement that's gonna really anger some people:

This album is just Deftones meets Underoath and is probably the best Deftones album this year.

That's honestly the biggest gripe I have with the album. It lacks it's own original premise and true evolution in sound. Whereas I listen to Loathe and hear a band really experimenting with their sound, Static Dress borrow from their influences quite a lot.

Despite this lack in originality, I think this is one of the most interesting debut albums I've heard in a while. Static Dress really make their own style in here that can balance harsh undertones with shoegazey floaty sections and there's a lot more singing in here than I was expecting. When the band wants to be rough, it can be rough and it gets quite intense. At times it really reminds me of an evolution of Converge, but there's a lot more that can be done to enhance that further and that's okay. In the meantime, I do think this is a worthwhile record to check out.

Rank 1st / 17