Stella Donnelly - Beware of the Dogs
Mar 8, 2019
I repeat. I said I repeat. This is the YEAR for female artists. Nearly every female-led singer/songwriter project released this year has been stellar and this is no exception.

Donnelly crafts a fun debut record in which both humor and personal and intimate songwriting are the bedrocks of this record. Some tracks are more delicate whereas others have a more driving motion behind them. Both vibes work well and create a strong and diverse debut.

You just gotta love this.

Favorite track: Boys Will Be Boys
Mar 8, 2019
Female singer-songwriter fans unite!
Mar 8, 2019
Where have you been? Women have been running the game for a while now. Last year's top ten was almost exclusively women solo acts with their face plastered on the cover.
Mar 8, 2019
I think it stands out more this year given how few male-led albums have stood out to me this year. I agree they have been running the game for a great deal of time, but it's so visible early this year.
Mar 8, 2019
this year has the quality to go with the quantity. and we are only getting started.
Mar 9, 2019
Since few years, we have so much luck : Julia Jacklin, Torres, Aldous Harding, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, Hand Habits, Emma Ruth Rundle (solo career), Xenia Rubinos, recent tiny ruins, Adrianne Lenker/big thief, caroline rose, Haley Heydnerickx, fenne lily, margaret glasby, Julien baker, boygenius, say lou lou, aurora, dilly dally, mitski more recent works, kadhja bonet, lump, natalie prass, courtney barnett, snail mail, camp cope, alex lahey, sexwitch, loma, rosemary and garlic, looming,
Mar 9, 2019
japanese breakfast, marika hackman, nadia reid, etc (and I probably miss couple of other). These names are just for the 3-4 last years. It's pretty good considering that all of them made revelant LP/EP.
Mar 9, 2019
What a solid list of artists, WildChameleon. It's pretty astounding at how many phenomenal albums have been released within the past few years by artists like this. Once again, I definitely agree that female artists have really been at the forefront of music over the last few years and beyond.
Mar 9, 2019
last year was heavily female-dominated... at least imho, fuck the charts lol.
Mar 10, 2019
In my opinion, there were some really standout albums from last year (e.g., Mitski, Snail Mail, Caroline Rose, Soccer Mommy, Janelle Monae, many more) but for this year nearly every one of my top albums thus far have been female-led. That's really where my statement came from.
Mar 10, 2019
Julia Holter came out with an AOTD contender, tho.
Also Hop Along (female fronted band) destroyed every male-fronted indie/rock band in existance.
fakeplasticrose