Employed to Serve - Eternal Forward Motion
Jun 27, 2019 (updated Aug 24, 2019)
Boy, I've been needing an album like this for 2019.

Although this record isn't so different from many other acts in the metalcore scene (the first act that came to mind was Code Orange), this album deserves to be praised for its execution of that sound. It's blisteringly intense with tracks that will grind you down into a pulp but don't feel like they exist without purpose.

One of the greatest struggles I find from this style of music is that the lyricism is often half-baked; generally tired tropes are explored for the sake of sounding rough and edgy. I didn't get that sense from this record. Both the vocal delivery and the songwriting felt well thought out and as if they meant something.

The musicianship and production are also quite pleasing, although I'll admit my biggest gripe with this record ends up being that the instrumentation by the end does feel a little repetitive. This is by no means a common theme, as there are certainly moments where this isn't merely hammering beats and grinding guitar riffs. There is still a strong sense of technicality employed across this record.

If you're into this style of music, I would definitely describe this as a must listen for the year.

Favorite track: We Forgot You