Marika Hackman - Any Human Friend
Aug 10, 2019
If you've followed my account, which I won't assume you have, you'll know just how impressed I've been with this years slew of albums released by female singer/songwriters. I really have yet to be disappointed by what I've heard, and this Marika Hackman album is no exception.

Any Human Friend is a practice in intimacy, both with warm and inviting vocalization and personal songwriting. On top of all of this intimacy is instrumentation that is at times soft and easy and at other times hooky and full of groove. It's hard to state just how catchy these songs can be while maintaining An important feeling of closeness between the artist and the songs being developed across the record.

Most of all, this album is infectious enough that it's easy to return to immediately. Even after the album ceased I felt compelled to explore these songs even further, basking in the lyrcisim utilized and the fun guitar riffs and well paced drums.

I can't think of a better way to dedicate my 1000th review than praising yet another female artist giving us their all on an album, stripping themselves bare for the listener and allowing us into their soul through their music.

Favorite song: all night
Aug 11, 2019
A fantastic 1000th review!
Aug 12, 2019