Bon Iver - i,i
Aug 9, 2019
Man, Pitchfork sure does love Bon Iver.

What i,i ultimately is, is a logical follow up to 22, A Million. Vernon winded down a path of electronic experimentation that shifted heavily from the indie-folk directness of previous records with that release, and there really was no going back from there.

Sure, the magic surrounding that album has partially waned since that release, but on i,i the key elements are still there. Vernon's vocals pair with rich instrumentation and ambient textures well here, and the listening experience is sweet and genuine. Although the songwriting isn't on par with past releases, it's easy to get wrapped up enough in the sounds that the lyrics aren't too much of a detraction.

If there is any positive mark to this album is that I didn't find myself bored throughout. There was enough gripping me on I,i that I deemed a follow up listen was worthwhile. Had I not enjoyed the listening experience, I couldn't imagine wanting to return to the album so quickly.

It's no 22, A Million as many would probably have wanted or even potentially expected. But it is an exuberant and thriving record that settles as a statement that Vernon hasn't lost touch with what works for Bon Iver's sound.

Favorite track: Faith