Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day
Sep 4, 2019
So I've recently been moving to Ohio with my brother and a close friend into a new house, which has made it a little more difficult to frequently review albums. I'll be traveling back and forth between the new house and my old city for work until I can find a job in the area.

The other thing that the moving has caused is that I've been away from my record collection for a little bit. Now that I'll be in the house and with my collection, every week I'm going to try and find at least one of my records I havent reviewed on here yet, listen to it, and then do my thing.

Kid Cudi's debut record Man on the Moon: The End of Day is a record I picked up with the intention to get into it a little more but never really listened to it that closely. Cudi is not often considered one of the best hip hop artists of the last decade or so, but his debut release is at least well respected in some areas but panned by others (I'm looking at you, Pitchfork). So with all that being said, it's hard to say for sure if this is an album deserving of praise or worth missing.

Revisiting this album for the first time in a few years, I'm leaning neither way really. I think there are some cool concepts across this album but not everything is really executed amazingly. The album is broken into five different thematic pieces seperated by narration by Common. The idea behind having these thematic elements is one that should hold your attention, but its so far from obvious throughout the record because the songs don't stray to heavily from act to act. This makes a situation where the acts don't feel like they provide anything for the music outside of a distraction. I will say that the songs on act 4 are probably the strongest overall, but that doesn't mean they sound especially different from other acts.

I think what holds this together is that Kid Cudi is a pretty interesting artist overall. He has a unique voice and flow and his production has some pretty bright moments, especially on the act 4 portion of the album and his greatest achievement in Day N Night. Things are pretty vibrant and experimental, and his voice meshes well with that vibrancy. The songs here aren't always stunning per say, but when they do start to click you really get the sense that Cudi has the talent to succeed on his own outside of just being a heavily featured artist in the realm of Kanye West's music (who of course appears on the oddly Lady Gaga sampled track here).

As one last gripe, since I am listening on vinyl, the acts for some reason AREN'T seperated on each side? Seems like if you were going to have acts in your album you would have the sides of each LP represent them accordingly. Instead, each side has the majority of one act along with one or two additional songs. It's a little weird and seems like a missed opportunity.

So I can see someone praising this debut as a great first step, but I could also see other mediums being disappointed with the output. I'm pretty squarely in the middle of each camp.

Favorite track: Day N Night