Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Mar 23, 2019 (updated Mar 25, 2019)
A beautiful album about searching for love and meaning in a changing world. Natalie Mering's voice is so gorgeous and full-bodied you could just float inside it. Her arrangements sound classic but are deceptively complex, with chord progressions and harmonies that take these songs in a subtly psychedelic direction. The lyrical imagery has to do with mirrors, movie screens, pictures - the places where we encounter images of who we want to be and who we really are. Our protagonist wants to stop falling for the Hollywood plots and become the star of her own movie, but she isn't sure what she should live for. One of the words that comes up most is "something": she wants to find "something to hold onto," "something bigger and louder than the voices in me, something to believe," "something with meaning," "something I may never find." Though the album ends with Natalie still waiting for that "call from beyond," there's hope in the fact that she hasn't abandoned her quest, that she still thinks her life's meaning will "come through soon." Ominous themes - about personal and planetary exhaustion - hover in the background of this album, but rather than drowning in despair, Natalie teaches us how to breathe underwater. In short, this is a beautiful, inspirational, and even profound album about living out your life's quest even when you aren't sure where you or the world around you is headed.
Apr 5, 2019
This is one of the best reviews I've read about this mesmerising album
fakeplasticrose