Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA
Oct 6, 2020 (updated Oct 6, 2020)
A phenomenal contender for the place of AOTY.

Wow. I really really love this album! Rina Sawayama, before today, was a name that I've never even heard of, but I'm glad I did find her thanks to @TomBejoy. I'm big for R&B albums and this really struck me.

The opener "Dynasty" is very powerful, making this album come in with a very strong start, displaying just a part of her vocal range, preparing you for the rest of the album. "XS" is the only song I've heard before the album which if you didn't know, is one of my favorite singles to come out this year.

"STFU!" was a pleasant surprise to see it opening with a metal instrumentation, but I really like what she did with this and her voice matched very well with the guitar used in the song. "Comme des Garçons" has a moodier tone but weirdly has a dance tone as well, makes no sense I know. The instrumentation on the song "Akasaka Sad" is really poppy and I love it, but the autotuned robot sounding voice in the middle of the song was sorta questionable, came out decent, but probably not needed.

I've never seen an intro to a song quite like the song "Paradisin'" having part of the song the intro, but nevertheless, I really like this dance-pop sounding song, and also that saxophone, god I love it.

"Fuck This World" is a very bright sounding song that I really really like as well. "Who's Gonna Save U Now?" is also a highlight on the album, everything about this song I love, the instrumental, the harmonies in the back, and her vocals. "Tokyo Love Hotel" is a very solid track and one of the stronger ones here as well.

"Chosen Family" is a good song, but in comparison to the other songs on this album, it comes out sort of lackluster, but it's still a good song. "Snakeskin" ends off the album with a very menacing tone, and I really like it a lot, great ending track.

Overall, this is one of my favorite albums to come out this year, and all of these songs will be in my rotation for the months to come. I can compliment everything on this album, and I can now call myself a Rina Sawayama fan, will be checking out RINA soon.

Favorite Tracks: Dynasty, XS, Comme des Garçons, Akasaka Sad, Paradisin, Love Me 4 Me, Bad Friend, Fuck This World (Interlude, Who's Gonna Save U Now?, Tokyo Love Hotel, Snakeskin
Least Favorite Track: If I were to pick, probably Chosen Family, but I do like the song.

92/100
Oct 6, 2020
Amazing review, this is the ideal length and the best tracks/worst tracks part is sorted. I like Chosen Family for it's largely personal lyrics reminiscing Bad Friend, which I'm surprised about because it didn't make it to your best tracks but that's your opinion
Oct 6, 2020
Akasaka Sad is also rather awkward to me, more like corny idk. Anyway good review, I like the formatting it's very accessible and easy on my little eyes (Lol)
Oct 6, 2020
Wouldn't really call it an R&b album. I'm a sucker for maximalist R&b like the weeknd but this one has a lot more versatility effectively making it better than After Hours
Oct 6, 2020
@TomBejoy Hold on, I forgot to put Bad Friend on the favorite tracks section sorry lmfao, and maybe Chosen Family will grow on me but I still did like the song.
Oct 6, 2020
@Matt yeah bad friend was my favourite lol.