AOTY 2021
Joji - Nectar
Dec 19, 2020 (updated Mar 13, 2021)
It's a 100. I don't care what you guys say anymore. 3000+ plays on the album, it deserves it the most.

The Story of Dr. Wallace (Narration by a TV Reporter for ABC News)

Dr. Wallace, age 30. Resides in California with his wife and kid. Employed as the Commander at NASA. He worked at his job for around 5 years and worked for the majority of his life to get to that point. Going through his ups and downs. Although, he everlastingly felt that there was something missing in his life. He wanted to start something new. He felt trapped in his own bubble for too long. Where could he go?

He has his dream job, a comfortable salary, a beautiful home, and a beautiful wife and kid. He is finally accomplishing everything he wished for and enjoys his work, so what reason would make him want more than he already has?

First, we have to start at the beginning.

Time Change: Dr. Wallace, age 18, Stanford University (February 6th, 2008)

At the age of 18, Wallace knew where he was going to be in the future. He was studying engineering and was flourishing. He and his friend, Rei, were both studying together for 4 years. They both spent nights together in their dorm room, but then their friendship started to slowly diminish. Rei dropped out of college as he was only there because of his friendship with Wallace, but since it was slowly disappearing, there was no reason to stay. On the contrary, Wallace stayed to pursue his future. He was disappointed in Rei, but that didn’t stop him from pursuing his dream.

“It’s hard to believe sometimes, we can pretend we’re normal people.”

They were both growing farther and farther apart. Interests changed, their friendship slowly falling apart. But Wallace didn’t let that tear him down. He ended up finding a job at a private company as a small-time engineer to build rockets for NASA. At this point, he’s become a selfish, egotistical person. Thinking he has it all. Treating his own co-workers as if they were under him. Just months later he would be promoted to a leading research engineer working along with the military and the UN.

In just a few months from working at NASA, he met the love of his life, Rose, at his job. They both had the same desk job as a small-time engineer. They both fell madly in love, even having a kid along the line. With all of these things Wallace had, it’s hard to believe it ever went wrong, but it did.

Time Change: Dr. Wallace, age 25, Vandenberg Air Force Base. (April 16th, 2015)

After a couple of years, Wallace had become a workaholic. Non-stop working on his rocket to Mars. He grew impatient with his work, he was tired but ready to finally be finished working on this project, his rocket. He had been focusing and working hard. He was proud of himself and thrilled to see the final result after all the time and effort he put into it.

Today was launch day. There was a group of people with young women and men who were picked out for this fascinating opportunity. Dr. Wallace was jealous, he had dreamed of this since he was a young boy. He felt it was unfair for his own rocket to be shot into space without him when it was his dream.

So what did he do?

He had locked them out, he ruined their chances of launching into space. He gave his boss the middle finger through the window and the whole United Nations. His thoughts were blank, all he knew and felt in his fast-beating heart that he was ready to accomplish this dream he had imagined for so many years. Wallace had a miraculous adrenaline rush .. he didn't care anymore .. he didn't care about anyone. He was selfish and he knew it. But that selfishness was bliss for him.

Why would he do this?

He made a choice to leave his tranquil life, his family, and his job.. the job he put his best effort into. He hadn't thought of the aftermath of what he was doing. His selfishness took over. He left with no goodbye. He felt no remorse.

“Mine and Rose’s relationship wasn’t going too well at the time. I was thinking about getting a divorce. Whenever it came to launch day, I didn’t really think about what I was doing. It was an impulsive decision that I regret to this day.”

It was too late.. His kid was standing there, too young to even understand what was going on, and just smiled through the situation that would later bring pain to him and his mother. This temporary happiness Wallace craved took over his thoughts. His worries being swiped away. This feeling was so empowering and blissful. The pure satisfaction he felt, he felt like he was on top of the world. And he was. But then…

“EMERGENCY. EJECT OR ENGAGE.”

His rocket. His rocket failed. The rocket began to fail. The rocket he worked so hard on failed on him. He realized he had to start thinking again. His brain shut off the moment he stepped foot into the rocket. He took a minute to figure out what he would do next. He had to make a choice. He had the choice of either going back down to Earth to face repercussions or face the possibility of death to do what he’s always wanted to do.

“Engage.” He heard..

And there he went..

“Wake up.”

Wallace was alive. How is he alive? How could this be?

He struck into a coma. His thoughts began to race when he finally opened his eyes as the light from the window beamed into his eyes. He had time to realize what he had done.

“Was this a good idea? Should I go back?”

He had so many thoughts racing through his head. He knew it was too late. Realizations occurred in his thought process, he understood what he needed to be thinking about. He decided to seek into the positive side of things. He slowly began to shut out the negative thoughts that filled his head. He convinced himself this was the best choice he could have imagined.

“And though this is tragic, at least I found the end.”

He speaks on how leaving his family was tragic, but justifies it with “At least I found the end”. His delusional thought process made him believe he had overcome this and that he could live without his family. He had assumed that he had made an acceptable decision. Rose would wonder where he was, and he resented it. She’d say…

“Mr. Hollywood, won’t you come back soon?”

But he wasn’t coming back soon. Wallace had found comfort with his decision.

Thoughts filled his head, as he had more time in the day to be more self aware. He started to think about what he forsaken. He was starting to doubt himself. Was this a bad idea?

“Wake up.”

He was awoken. He was out of his coma. Where was he? It didn’t look anything remotely close to Earth. It was deserted and Wallace was detached from any form of life.The only other sounds he could hear was his own breathing. There wasn’t even the sound of wind. There was nothing. He came to the understanding that he landed in the place where he was supposed to be.

It felt like a slap on the face when Wallace realized he was alone. He knew his flight back would be intercepted by the government, and he had no contact with anyone who could guide him back to Earth. He accepted his fate, he knew he made the wrong choice. He understood he had to make the most of the situation, knowing he was unable to go back to restore his humanity.

Wallace found materials. He started to plant trees, in hopes of building something as he had nothing else. Creating life on this planet with trees could substitute for the loneliness and extinction of life that lingered upon Wallace. He tried his communication devices, but he was unsure who could contact him. Wallace knew he was loathed, stealing a multi-million dollar rocket to selfishly go to space on his own with no absolute remorse.

It finally struck Wallace. He knew he had one person he could call.

Rei.

Rei: “Hello? Who is this?”

Wallace: “Rei, it’s me.”

Rei: “Wallace? What the hell? You’re all over the news! Why would you do this?”

Wallace: “I had to... I regret it. Look, I need a favor?”

Rei: “And that is?”

Wallace: “I need you to get me back home.”

Rei: “Who do you think I am?”

Wallace: “Look. At NASA, they’re currently holding an internship program. I need you to intercept it and get me back into Earth safely without being caught.”

The call with Rei and Wallace finished abruptly. Wallace had no idea what was going to take effect after communicating with him.

Time Change: Dr. Wallace, age 27, Unknown (presumably Mars) (August 6th, 2017)

It’s been 2 years.

Wallace had become a different person. With the time he had spent, he was able to build his own little home. He grew somewhat comfortable with where he was, it was still nowhere near his previous life. Some days he’d forgotten what life was like for him before.. but when he remembered, it felt like a punch to the heart.

“Lost in the blue, they don’t love me like you do
Those chills that I knew, they were nothing without you
And everyone else, they don’t matter now
You’re the one, I can’t lose
No one loves me like you do.”

“'Cause I can never take you for granted
Is there another us on this whole planet?”

He’s still reminiscing that thought of Rose. He misses her touch.

Is he capable of obtaining something so special like her again?

Has she become just an afterthought?

“I don’t wanna forget about you
I don’t wanna think about it
Think about it.”

Then, he receives a call.

It’s been 2 years since his last contact with a human, and that last contact seemed like it was the end of everything. At this point, he’s forgotten how to interact with another human. Getting back onto that rocket was just a lost fantasy. Everything was all in his mind to keep him sane, since he wasn’t able to interact with anyone, even if it was just for a small bit of relief in the feeling of turmoil from being so alone. The only thing keeping him from going insane is this new life, but even that couldn’t keep him afloat for much longer. So getting a phone call was so farfetched at this point. All he could ask himself was, who could it be? Who could have forgiven him for his sins? Who could’ve found it in their heart to contact him after all these years?

To his surprise, it was Rei.

Rei: “Hey.”

Wallace: “Rei?”

Rei: “Yeah, it’s me. Look, I did it. The favor you asked? I didn’t do it for you though… I can’t ever forgive you for what you’ve done. The thing is, seeing Rose and your kid in so much pain, made me sick. How could you ever do this to them? You had it all. You’re lucky you’re getting a second chance. You can come back home now Wallace. It is your lucky day.

This conversation he had with Rei pulled him back into reality.

He ran to the rocket, put in the coordinates, and was prepared to go. He was ready for this moment. He was so willing to leave this and finally get back to his life he had left, faster than he left Earth.

He was ecstatic. He missed this excitement
He almost forgot how it felt to be happy.

“Have you ever loved?
Would you go again?
Don’t be down when it’s over
Baby yeah, I’ll be your man.”

Bright thoughts ran through his mind.
He couldn’t think of anything that could go wrong.

He was approaching Earth. Something for 2 years he thought would never happen finally happened. He was landing, but there were people waiting for him? Multiple people wearing outfits, handling weapons.

Wallace was confused and shocked. He looked around till his eyes found Rei.

Rei ended up finishing college and earning Wallace’s old job. He used this opportunity to take Wallace down. Wallace was arrested on the spot for stealing a rocket worth more than a hundred million dollars.

Time Change: Dr. Wallace, age 30 (Present Day), Federal Correctional Institution Lompoc (September 25th, 2020)

Wallace since then was sentenced to life in prison, charged with grand theft embezzlement of something worth millions of dollars. He’s currently being held at the Federal Correctional Institution of Lompoc. He pleaded guilty in his case, explaining this full story to the judge and jury, but it wasn’t enough to get him out of a life sentence.

He spent his days by himself again. Human contact was not often.

The loneliness began to grow, he began to feel the same as he did when he was in space. He felt as if he went backwards. The loneliness caught up to him again. There was no second chance for Wallace.

He might’ve made it back to Earth, but he never made it back to his family.

He regrets everything.

He was able to convince only one person, and that was me. I found his story compelling, and it affected me greatly. I understand the pain he’s in. He’s done many things wrong.

Why would I ever think of a guy like this, who abandons his family, in a good light? Why would I care for a random stranger that has nothing to do with me? Why should I feel bad for a person who has done so much bad? Why should he be forgiven? Why do I even care?

I believe everyone should earn another chance. It’s too bad I was the only one who felt like this, but at least I know what was right. Turns out he was right when he said ..

“And if I took on the planet
Will I pay my dues?
Your love was a mystery
Yeah, my love is a fool
And I traveled the country, just to get to you.”

(The End)

Review Helpers:
nxnzn
nicoperagine
GeMann

Without their help, this review wouldn’t be possible!

Resources Used:
“Nectar” Lyrics: https://genius.com/albums/Joji/Nectar
Joji Subreddit (r/PinkOmega): https://www.reddit.com/r/PinkOmega/

-------------------------------------------

Original Review (October 26th, 2020):

Joji has been a figure I've been following for around 7 years and I've always found his come up/transition into music fascinating. When it comes to his music, I've always really enjoyed it as SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK is my favorite song of ALL TIME (yes, don't judge me). Chloe Burbank is also, in my opinion, a masterpiece. That project struck me personally, and I've loved it since its release. So you can say that I was very very excited for Nectar as I loved his projects in the past.

Track by Track Analysis:

We start off with "Ew" which is a beautifully orchestrated ballad that kicks off this album greatly, showing a great vocal performance and instrumental from Békon. Following this is "MODUS" which starts off slow and beautiful but transitions into a faster paced song with Joji sorta rapping? I enjoyed this quite a bit and especially that strong chorus.

"Tick Tock" is a very simple song here, but lovable and very catchy, especially the first part of the song which is pitch-shifted. Next we have "Daylight" which is a very average pop song but with Joji's twist. It's enjoyable but not the best thing I've heard.

Then we get this sorta simple interlude "Upgrade" that goes back to his older simpler days of Chloe Burbank, which I am a sucker for and of course I liked this track although it being simple.

"Gimme Love" is split into two sections which I've gotta say after listening to it for a few months, I prefer the first half of the song. When listening to this over and over, the second half just becomes boring, good track though.

Here comes my favorite single of the year, "Run". God, I love this song, Such a huge step up with the vocals and the guitar solo at the end is just a treat to listen to. This song still holds up very well.

The first single for this album came out in 2019 and is called "Sanctuary" and is still one of the better tracks on this album, pretty unique when it comes to what's in this album as well.

"High Hopes" was something I didn't have high hopes for (see what I did there?), specifically for the feature of Omar Apollo, and what can I say? It didn't come out very great, but I still keep finding myself listening to this track cause I actually like the beat for it.

"NITROUS", a fun poppy song produced by Clams Casino who produced "CAN'T GET OVER YOU" in 2018 for "BALLADS 1" which has the same style. I see this song getting lots of hate but this is so addictive to me and I love it.

"Pretty Boy" shows Lil Yachty sounding good for once and is one of my favorite tracks on the album although it is out of place. This was an unexpected banger.

"Normal People" was my most anticipated feature here as Joji and Rei Brown were childhood friends and I enjoy Rei Brown's music, but it was probably the most disappointing song from the album. I like the song, some people don't but I still like it, just didn't live up to the potential.

"Afterthought" is easily one of the best features on this album. Joji's performance here is quite average (until the end) but BENEE knocks it out of the park on this one and matches quite well with Joji and I hope they collaborate again in the future.

"Mr. Hollywood", produced by Kenny Beats, is a really good song, mostly for that instrumental and outro but Joji does well on this song too.

"777" although it is a blatant The Weeknd ripoff, I still enjoyed the song quite a bit, I just don't like how he ripped off Blinding Lights basically.

"Reanimator" had so much potential, especially with the Yves Tumor feature, but comes up short as it's a very long intro to basically nothing... but I still weirdly like it.. what is wrong with me..

"Like You Do" a powerful ballad, reminiscent of SLOW DANCING IN THE DARK, is in theory could be one of my favorites, and it is. I do prefer SDITD but I still love this song for it's powerful vocals and slow piano beat.

"Your Man" was disappointing but I still like it for some odd reason as it has a lovable quality, and its just a fun dance song. But I believe this shouldn't have been the ending track, I think Like You Do would've done it better.

Overview/Conclusion:

Nectar is easily Joji's most realized work yet. He finds himself separating himself from his competition and creating an amazing album. When comparing it to his other works, it does laps on BALLADS 1 and In Tongues. I have a personal bias for Chloe Burbank so it wasn't as good as it but it was very close to me. Everything here has improved drastically; vocals, production, lyrics, etc. For the most-part, the features here did pretty well (Lil Yachty, BENEE, Diplo) but some didn't do as well (Omar Apollo, rei brown) despite their potential. He's now able to pull off a falsetto and show confidence in his voice which if compared to In Tongues, it's night and day, you could even say the same from BALLADS 1. Instrumentally he goes with a completely different route as shown by "Ew" being an orchestral ballad, "Run" being a sort of alt-rock song, "777" being synthpop, and "Sanctuary" just being full on pop. I really do like this new direction as I felt BALLADS 1 could've gotten very redundant if done over and over again. Lyrics have changed for the better as well. Joji has never been a great lyricist but at least his writing hasn't been as bad in his In Tongues days (lookin at you Bitter Fuck).

Overall, I loved this album. A huge step-up from his past work and this will be in my rotation for possibly years to come.

Favorite Tracks: Ew, MODUS, Daylight, Gimme Love, Run, Sanctuary, NITROUS, Pretty Boy (ft. Lil Yachty), Afterthought (with BENEE), Like You Do

Least Favorite Track: High Hopes (ft. Omar Apollo) simply for the horrible feature choice.

94/100
16Reanimator / 95
17Like You Do / 100
18Your Man / 80
Dec 19, 2020
Insane, glad I could help.
Dec 19, 2020
My submission for CLJesse, PipePanic, and TreyLikesBands' story review contest! Thank you @nxnzn, @nicoperagine, and @GeMann for helping me with this review.

Hope you all enjoy it!
that’s amazing
@BGL13 No! You are!
Dec 19, 2020
you can never call yourself a bad reviewer again
@SMTCubes you too
Dec 19, 2020
(also random thought, but the sorta "isolated in space" theme of this story reminded me heavily of my favorite music video of all time, porter robinson and madeon's shelter amv. it's basically about a father who sends his daughter into space as the world is ending, and it's really sad but idk the space themes crossed over here)
Dec 19, 2020
also you're a way better reviewer than me this is absolute proof
Dec 19, 2020
The space theme is actually based off of Joji's music videos, if you look at the "Resources Used" section, it shows off what I used to make this review

also im not a better reviewer shutup
Dec 19, 2020
@MattsReviews oh, i need to watch those, that's super cool!!

also yes you are shutup
WOW MATT LOOK AT YOU!!!
In love with this, and I'm so glad I could help!! Loved the concept
Dec 19, 2020
Yup Matt this is the one
Dec 19, 2020
one the best things i read this year honestly, congrats man !! better than the album itself
Dec 19, 2020
@nxnzn @Basic_Garci @eliiscool5 @santymasnaosant Y'all are gonna make me cry, thank you so much!
Dec 19, 2020
If only that story was actually brought up on the album, aside from a few singles
Dec 20, 2020
absolutely insane, and I agree with implicit here for some reason, if the album was conceptual like your review it wouldve been aoty lmao.

also why didnt you ask for my help I would've added jokes LMAO

great review dawg
Poggers
Dec 20, 2020
@ImplicitDoom @TomBejoy The album is actually based off of this, but this 90% of what I added here was my ideas. The singles and a few other songs had the story, but it never really extended on it sadly or had any conclusion like this one
Dec 21, 2020
There's a lot to this story that I left out... Maybe I shall revisit it someday because of the overwhelming support
Mar 13, 2021
ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME
Mar 13, 2021
19 Dollar Matthew Card
Mar 17, 2021
what a review
Apr 30, 2021
Yo I just read this and this was insane, really loved the concept. This was a great read.
Apr 30, 2021
@Luisantunes445 Thank you! Means a lot
Aug 8, 2021
I'm genuinely blown away.
Aug 8, 2021