Gorillaz - Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez
Oct 24, 2020
A phenomenal effort from Gorillaz, their best since Plastic Beach.

Gorillaz has had a very interesting career to me. Plastic Beach was absolutely stunning but they've just not been able to live up to those standards for a decade, but their newest LP "Song Machine" brought back all the love I originally had for them before.

Just taking a peak at the track list, you already know this is going to be great. Amazing artists on each song. The instrumentals are very lovable as well with the synths and simultaneously simplistic and detailed at the same time, is that weird? Yeah that's weird. Each feature does their part to further improve the quality of this album. Like come on, Elton John? St Vincent? Beck? Gorillaz did a very good job with their feature selection here and I'm glad they didn't just pick random people cause I can't really imagine any other person on these songs. Another thing I really like here is the variety, but it still is cohesive all the way through. Each and every song is interesting in their own ways. I really don't have any complaints here. It's obviously no where near perfect, but I feel like Gorillaz truly did their best with what they had here, and it was ultimately done very well.

Shorter review I know but I just wanted to put it out to share my opinion on this project because I'm very very happy with what Gorillaz did here as I am a big fan of their music but they haven't really struck me since "Plastic Beach" from 2010. Listening to this whole album just made me feel great as a long time fan of the group.

Favorite Tracks: All of them. This review is based off tracks 1-11, not including the Deluxe edition.
Least Favorite Track: None.

90/100
Nov 13, 2020
i really loved it too! Fantastic record the whole way through
Nov 13, 2020
@mighty_phi Agreed, I'm so glad Gorillaz finally made something so great again!
Tristan
Good News
Kali Uchis - Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
Kali Uchis
Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.
K.G.