AOTY 2020
Kali Uchis - Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
Nov 18, 2020
A very pleasant surprise for the Latin Pop genre, or just music in general.

Kali Uchis isn't a name I'm very familiar with, so hearing this and it being this good was very surprising. The only work I'm familiar with is her feature on Tyler, The Creators 'See You Again' which I was led to believe that she had pretty great vocals, and on this new album, she has even better vocals than I initially thought she had.

The production on this is absolutely amazing. It's really chill and matches her performance quite well. Her vocals are also quite great. She displays a very wide range here and doesn't fail to impress at all. After listening to this, I decided to listen to her project 'Isolation' and when comparing the two, I actually preferred this. The switch from R&B and English lyrics to R&B with Spanish lyrics was done quite well, and to be honest, she seems to fit more with this. I really do hope fans of her do appreciate this switch as to some it could be sort of drastic, but I feel she pulled it off quite well. Obviously I can't really talk about the lyricism here since it's in a language I myself don't understand, so if you want to see thoughts on that, please check out the other reviewers who talk about that.

Although I do believe this is a great album, I do have to say, it's not groundbreaking either. There are moments during this album where it doesn't leave much of an impression for me. Specifically 'que te pedi//', although it had pretty great instrumentation, it was a little slow and too short to really have many thoughts on it. Then we have tracks like 'aquí yo mando' featuring Rico Nasty which I believe is very good and unique. There's a balance between lows and highs for me, but thankfully the highs are more glaring than the lows, making this album look like there are little problems. I want to get straight that there isn't anything bad about it, there are just a few low points.

Overall, I believe this was great. I find Kali's transition to Latin-Pop/Reggaeton very interesting, and she honestly pulled it off amazingly. Sure there are low points, but the highs balance out the lows, making me believe that this is a great album. I honestly can't wait to see where she goes with her career next!

Favorite Tracks: fue mejor, //aguardiente y limón %ᵕ‿‿ᵕ%, aquí yo mando, vaya con dios, telepatía, la luz (fín)
Least Favorite Track: que te pedí//

83/100
good review!
Nov 18, 2020
also how did you not bump isolation it was quite the albunm
Nov 18, 2020
@TomBejoy I really liked Isolation, but I kinda preferred this, maybe it'll benefit with a second listen to Isolation though. Also thanks!
good review. i agree !
Nov 19, 2020
@nxnzn Thank you! Yours was great too!
eastbaldboy