AOTY 2021
Quadeca - From Me To You
Mar 30, 2021
We live in this world although vast, it’s not something we explore nearly enough. In the alps of Mount Everest, you look down on an open lush world upon you. But not even the heights of some of the largest peaks of this world can really show you how much of the world is unexplored. A peak lies every step of the way, behind that peak lies another, and another. You never reach the apex, as you die before you get to it. YouTube artist, Quadeca, has been climbing this hypothetical mountain for years. His reputation was tarnished and was overlooked as “corny” or “average” which is understandable to an extent, until leading up to his album “From Me To You”. A solo climb, with no tools or others to help him, just himself. Although his career was propelled into the spotlight with gimmicks and attention seeking methods, he still did it all himself and a lot of it owing to himself still. Him being by himself adds a personal touch, nothing artificial, he paved his own path, and he’s reached the top. The top being, “From Me To You”, the artist’s magnum opus, a career topper that undeniably is becoming one of my favorite records of all time.

I’m not going to try to convince you that this is the greatest album of all time, the most experimental/out there performance ever, an extremely creative and unique project to be looked on as one of the best of the decade, that’s nowhere near to what it is and would be extremely over exaggerated and fake to say that. This album doesn’t achieve that, but it does achieve greatness in a way of a young artist emerging from his shell and creating true art, leaving his underestimated label as a “YouTube rapper”. He’s now undeniably a true artist with raw talent, and a mainstay in this industry whether you like it or not, he’s proved that with his ability to curate a well produced project with powerful performances. With that being said, I’d like to talk about his come up. In the grand scheme of things, I’d say none of his music would matter up until this point due to the fact FMTY is the largest leap this artist has ever had, even from 2019’s “Voice Memos” which looking back on it now, it seems like this corny trap-rap album. This is coming from a person who’s been following this guy’s path for years, before the KSI debacle as well. I felt he always had potential to make something great but it seemed like he was in this fast rapper clique and locked in too deep to break out from his shell to experiment with a new, grander, lush sound. If you haven’t heard FMTY or any of this guys discography, you can skip everything before and go to FMTY instantly, that’s how great it is to me. This album does laps around his whole discography to the point where it seems like before was a parody persona.

We’re back on the mountains, peace and quiet, setting the tone, the camera pans over the alps of Mount Everest, zooms out showing the vast atmosphere, open space, trees and snow covering the mountains, lakes covering the ground, snow falling into place. Then slight plucks of a ukulele starts playing, a beautiful vocal choir overtakes, it’s “Couloir”. On your radio it plays… “And I drive through the Rockys- uh, the magnificent Rockys, just a few weeks ago, and was absolutely- stunned by another view of ten and twelve-thousand feet, yeah, but, uh, I mean, beautiful mountains had nothing to do really with their altitude, some of the most beautiful mountains in the world might only be three or four-thousand feet, I mean, all that altitude- does is make it harder to climb it, because the lack of oxygen”, your friend who has climbed this peak before warns you of the adventure that comes before you. The wisps of air fly by, simple plucks of a guitar quietly come in, a slight voice comes in, it’s “Sisyphus”. An illustrious track with, in my opinion, the greatest instrumental on the album. A multi-layered conceptual, experimental, experience, and to put it lightly if any of the tracks would be “mind-blowing” to the average music listener, it would be this one. Not only is it one of the best sonically, it has Quadeca’s best songwriting ever as well, where there is actual story and clear direction to its subject matter. Guitars screech, we take a large left turn into “Candles On Fire!”, a ‘Tyler, The Creator’ esque track with a hypercentric performance with memorable lyrics and a head-bopping instrumental. A large standout, and a large reminder that Quadeca is indeed a talented rapper, not only a producer. The large riffs and raging production transition into “Shades of Us” but slowly fades out. This track is one of the less rap-centric songs more or less focusing on vocals and in my opinion aren’t standouts but are great additions to the tracklist. “Smiling at the Ground” and “Can’t You See?” also falls under this category. This 3 track run is the reminiscing of lost love or love to be gained. This clear image is reflected on throughout the whole album but it’s really focused on and explored in this 3-track-run. This is the pushing of the rock up the mountain, pain and turmoil, but for what? As a punishment?

We reach closer and closer to the summit of this mountain, tireless we are. The distance between us and the apex is foreseeable, but a strange feeling comes inside (Verglas). Small details are revealed, less fog comes into sight, we get closer and closer, the storm gets stronger, trying to not let us prevail… we reach the top to see much, much more, and our rock plummets to the bottom… “Maybe Another Day…” we think… maybe another day we reach the top. Bottling in our anger for another day. “Maybe Another Day…” is another track, I’d describe as wide open. When listening, you feel like you’re at the top of the mountain, with the echoes bouncing off the alps, and the dead noise afar. It’s spacious, immersive, and it’s one of the more enjoyable cuts off the album. Violins play in the distance, ominous as it sounds, where is it leading? The beat thumps and bass drops, “Alone Together” begins. This was the 2nd single to the album, and the new version is honestly quite great. My initial thoughts were that this was going to be his best song yet, which I’ve been proven wrong multiple times already, but it’s very great to hear this new, cleaner mix, with a stronger opener. Although being a single, something I haven’t mentioned yet but it’s weaker than a lot of the tracks on here (Heads up, this goes for all the singles except “Sisyphus”). Not going to complain, but we shall hike on. We’re given this deceiving perception we’re getting another atmospheric, love ballad but the beat then switches into this trap banger, reminiscent of earliest “Candles On Fire!”. “Burnin Bridges / Long Day” is a 2 part banger. That’s the best way I can represent the song. Oh, and Ben Shapiro. ‘IDK’ is a feature I don’t know (see what I did there) but really proved himself here. Although being outshined to oblivion by Quadeca, I feel he adds to the track still and did his job well. It then switches up to a solo verse from Quad (Long Day) which is, if not equally as good as Burnin Bridges. A great closer to the tireless pain and anger of the section of “Verglas”.

Once again, back on the climb again, after taking a break after the angering drop of the rock from before. The rock is gone, the only thing to be pushed up is ourselves. “Hallstatt”, famous salt mine, salty we are indeed as ironic and corny as it sounds it’s the only way to explain it. The “Hallstatt” is the time for redemption, reaching back to the pique of interest we were at previously. Starting with “Work!”, another trap-rap song, with a great glitchy instrumental and good performances from both artists. ‘PlayThatBoyZay’ although not being an artist I am familiar with, he did… fine. Quadeca once again carries the feature but this time a lot more as the chorus provided by Zay isn’t very amazing. To give it something, it’s not the worst feature, ‘Guapdad 4000’ had the worst feature on “People Pleaser”. He didn’t exactly match the eccentric energy of the uplifting instrumental off the song. The “Hallstatt” section being the shortest but the worst section of the album, enjoyable but easily skippable. But the most vital interlude and section is ready to come in, “Swallowed the Key”.

We’re halfway there. Rocks tumbling, a blizzard seemingly uprising, snow falling on us, but it’s not enough to stop us. Every ounce of motivation we have ever gained is reigniting itself in our body, if we don’t get to the peak, we will fall and disappoint. “Swallowed the Key” is the first and only interlude that works as a song to be revisited. Frank Ocean-esque, if I can say that, and has powerful vocals and an interesting instrumental that seemingly “swallows” in towards the end. “Where’d You Go” I’ll admit is completely out of place in this, or is it? I can’t find a specific way on how it fits in this storyline, but all I have to say it’s idiotic fun. The first single of the album, and honestly one of the weakest of the album… and I’m glad it didn’t take this direction without. It’s honestly a refresher to hear this now after taking in all of the greatness. “Where’d You Go” was a track I looked on highly a year ago but now in the grand scheme of things being the weakest, showing artistic growth. Maybe that was the purpose… who knows... But we now are reaching the summit. “Summit Pts. 1 & 2” are some of the more calming cuts but reasonably so. You’ve reached the end. You’ve completed the journey, and now you look over the view and see your path you went to. Looking back at the past… “Voice Memos”... “Nostalgia for Now”... “Out of Order”... mere memories now. Now you’re at the top, emotionless, lovely as it feels and brings a tear to your eye. This was Quadeca’s journey, now personify it as you. What was your journey? No, not this album listen, what was YOUR journey through your life. By the end of “Summit Pt. 2”, it really just got me to think. With it’s simplistic instrumental with little detail, it gave me seemingly miles and miles of space to think about and reflect on my own life. Thinking about how much I’ve improved as a person, and what I’ve “climbed” to and what I’ve achieved. And I’m not even done. None of us are. We have a lot more to live.

You may not see it. You may not see the vision Quadeca is trying to outline, and I might be completely wrong, but what it is indeed is thought-provoking. Quadeca is climbing this mountain that only goes up and down and never meets it’s true peak. This is all hypothetical, Quadeca isn’t climbing a mountain obviously. What is he climbing for? Love, clearly. His subject-matter might be messy sometimes but there’s obvious undertones that truly show that he’s talking about lost love. It’s just all a game to him. “From Me To You” once again, isn’t the greatest sounding thing ever to most people, but to me it is right up my alley. It ticks off all of the aspects I look for in an album and multiplies it, exceeding initial expectations. This album was my most anticipated album of 2021, and I’ve been waiting for it for 2 years, and it was worth it. You may not get it, and I get why you don’t, but I personally see it as true greatness, the magnum opus of the young artist who will clearly take the world by storm in the upcoming years.

Favorite Tracks: Sisyphus, Candles on Fire!, Smiling at the Ground, Maybe Another Day…, Alone Together, Burnin Bridges / Long Day, Swallowed The Key, It’s All A Game, Summit (Pts. 1 & 2)
Least Favorite Track: People Pleaser

95/100
🥰
Mar 30, 2021
what an absolutely exceptional review. wow.
Mar 30, 2021
Amazing review Matt! Extremely descriptive, love your visualization of the album through climbing a mountain!
Just had sex
@Chode LETS GOOOOOOOO

@August @SMTCubes @reaIreaIweaseI thank you for the support <33333
Mar 30, 2021
Ok I just read the review, one of the best I've seen on the site. Good job mattpoo
@Chode Thanks it means a lot :D
Damn i can really tell you put a lot of work into this, great review matt <3
@Nightwing734 Thank you, I appreciate it :) ❤️
95!!!??? YOURE SMOKING CRACKKKKKKK
Mar 31, 2021
@ImplicitDoom Can u respectfully hop off my dick
Mar 31, 2021
had to get on the singles account to congratulate this w
Mar 31, 2021
@ImplicitDoom Can u respectfully hop off his dick
Mar 31, 2021
@ImplicitDoom you will respectfully hop off Matt's dick
Mar 31, 2021
hot review for a hot person
Mar 31, 2021
easy to hop off from an object when it's tiny LMAO goteem
I’m sorry it’s just...
DICKS ARE SO CUTE
@eliiscool5 that wasn't cool5 of you but it was true
@ImplicitDoom I'm fucking 15 years old get away from me
Mar 31, 2021
Matt I will stick my fingies in yer retina and swirl
Mar 31, 2021
we participate in exaggerated amounts of swagger
YER ONLY ONE YEAR YOUNGER THAN ME CRACK ADDICT
Well almost two
@ImplicitDoom down bad today
aoty comment spam moment
Mar 31, 2021
So when’s our first date Matt
Mar 31, 2021
@ImplicitDoom The day you make a good album
Says the guy who rated cake a 78 when it came out lol
Sorry for being a nice guy, maybe you should try that sometime <3
Mar 31, 2021
Remember to give all of my Weezer reviews a like because it takes time to do em.

We doing Red today boysssss

shameless plug ova
It was me, I was the
Matt,

I hide only to defy you
Take away the only love inside you
I see the face through everyone
Inside I've just begun!
You think I'm out to scare you
I'm only out to prepare you for when you stop and turn around
Your body's going down!

You're gonna waste your time,
Your life will soon be mine,
You're definitely one of a kind, and
You're suffering 'cause of me, it's divine

Tell me why you never liked me
Tell me why it is you fight me (Tell me why, so you'll fight me)
Pull down and wait for the perfect time to take what is rightfully
mine
You think they're dumb to defy me
You said you don't want to defy me
-You wait, to dumb run anyone (. . .you don't want anyone)
Oh well. . .

You know what, Fuck you!
I'm fed up with you!
I'm not as good as you?!
Fuck no! I'm better than you!

Did you really think you'd beat me at my own game?!
You try to see what you got
Me ripping at your brain!
Mar 31, 2021
@ImplicitDoom you should invest in an unknown cryptocurrency and lose approximately $4 once stocks fall
What a great review!
Mar 31, 2021
You should put yourself in the microwave
Mar 31, 2021
You fool, I am the microwave!
Poor rob's servers
Mar 31, 2021
@hiphopcritques Thank you <3 Appreciate it!
Mar 31, 2021
To be fair Matt it is a good review,

just don’t agree
Mar 31, 2021
Yo also Matt just wanted to say don’t think I hate u.

just playing around. ur a good guy and good reviewer so keep up the good work
Mar 31, 2021
When I was twelve I performed a fart experiment. I wanted to capture an undiluted fart in a jar and see if after a month it still smelled. I ate some hotdogs and pizza, then had a lot of ice cream. These were all foods known to induce flatulence in me. Then I waited. I could feel my stomach rumbling as the noxious gasses inside me brewed. I filled a bathtub full of water, got my jar with a tightly fitting lid, took off my clothes and got in. I put the jar under water so it would fill, then held it inverted over my crotch. As the gas left my sphincter it rose up and displaced the water in the jar. After two or three, I had a jar filled with flatus. I gingerly placed the cap on the jar and tightened it. Now came the waiting. I put the gas-filled jar under my bed and waited the thirty days. I resisted the temptation to open it prematurely. Finally the day arrived. I got home from school and went right to my room. I closed the door. I opened the jar, stuck my nose in, and took a big whiff.
Wtf just happened
Just a spam thread lol
What a fantastic review!
@Luisantunes445 Thank you!!
Apr 1, 2021
I fucking love this album and the review at this point. And now the score is accurately placed. Amen
Apr 1, 2021
@TomBejoy Agreed. I realized 95 was a little too high as there are quite a few flaws, thanks for the support man
Apr 2, 2021
amazing Matt, there is nothing wrong with passionately appreciating such a project, in the end this is what music is about, we have to learn to praise without regret. Quadeca is telling us to pay attention
Apr 2, 2021
@oliveirapedroz Thank you so much :) Im starting to learn to not care about others opinions and form my own, thank you for validating that further for me:) Im gonna check out your review on it now !
bro great post but how do you write that much I can barely do 2 sentences lol
Apr 3, 2021
outstanding review, really well done
When your pizza rolls
Apr 6, 2021
When your do nuts
Apr 6, 2021
When your fart lmao's
Apr 8, 2021
everytime you lower the rating, my heart pains.
Apr 18, 2021
LETS GOOO 100 LIKES :D <3 tyyy all
Not a bad review but the score is about 57 points off
@ImplicitDoom I cant go above 100
omg lol
Jun 25, 2021
least favorite people plewaser :.(
Jun 25, 2021
@lsdamenokay Probably doesnt hold up still