Joji - Chloe Burbank Volume 1
Oct 19, 2020
Instead of reviewing this album as it was only 2 tracks (the longer tracklists are fanmade), I'm gonna just review his whole "Chloe Burbank" era of music, so basically everything before In Tongues and not Pink Guy music.

Holy. This was a wild ride. Being able to experience this music as it was coming out was even better. Lofi has been around for a long time, but Joji just seemed to know what he was doing with it. Sure, his Nectar stuff is good and instrumentally/vocally, he's improved. But with Chloe Burbank it just sounds more personal. Being all produced by him, and he isn't a bad producer either, sad to not see him solo produce tracks anymore as he's becoming more mainstream. His main appeal for me for awhile was that self-production, and this era was amazing.

The music itself is phenomenal. Highlights being the obvious "you suck charlie" and "thom" (the two actual songs of Burbank) with beautiful mixing and the vocals are just a treat on "thom." There are too many tracks in this era where I can't really speak on them but I can just name some other highlights. Unsaved Info, Plastic Taste, Besidju, I Don't Wanna Waste My Time, Medicine, Lov U, and many more. Those are just a few of them.

I've been listening to this material for YEARS, and that probably won't stop anytime soon. This is still far and away Joji's best work. Some of his best songs ever appear here and hold up very well. Sure, Nectar shows some of his best talent, but the compilation of songs here and the feeling of it being very personal by it being self-produced just makes it so much better for me.

This is gonna be my first 100. Attack me all you want, the opinion just won't change, I feel attached to this album.

Favorite Track: If I can only pick 1, thom