Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
Oct 27, 2023 (updated Oct 31, 2023)
Music's ight but I would like her more if she didn't have the highest carbon footprint in history

Maybe try a Prius for your next travels ❤️

Taylor Swift’s 1989 (Taylor’s Version) feels like a set of unfinished demos that don’t fully capture the magic of the 2014 record but do just enough to be passable as a full release.

Taylor Swift is a woman who is in no need of any introduction. Although limited to a music career, her accolades have been nothing short of astonishing in the last few years. From having the most profitable single-year concert tour of all time to winning 12 Grammy Awards or even being the second artist to surpass 100 million monthly streamers on Spotify, it’s easy to deduce that Taylor has been on top of the world plenty of times.

Her best-selling album, 1989, was the album that turned Swift into the pop star she is today. The album contained stream-behemoth pop bangers like 'Style', 'Bad Blood', and 'Shake it Off', all of which were incredibly recognizable records in the last decade. The album would controversially win the title of Album of the Year at the Grammys over Kendrick Lamar’s critically acclaimed magnum opus To Pimp A Butterfly, which is a testament to Taylor’s popularity at the time. There’s no question why Taylor would want to make rerecordings of this record; she had all the reasons: for one, the royalties she had for the album were not owned by her and were owned by her previous management under Scooter Braun, and for two, the success of the original album was hard to ignore. With her last three “Taylor’s Version” projects, which I thoroughly enjoyed over their respective original albums, it was a no-brainer that 1989 would receive the same treatment soon enough. This prediction would hold as on October 27th, exactly nine years after the original release, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) would be dropped for the entire world to hear.

I think it’s important to preface this review with my thoughts on Taylor’s music before I go into this album. I’ve typically enjoyed Taylor’s music; some of my favorite albums are Folklore, Evermore, Red, and 1989. But with that, I’ve also disliked a multitude of her works, including Midnights, Reputation, and Lover. With, in my opinion, a very inconsistent discography, I still held out high hopes for this new project. As I stated before, I enjoy her “Taylor’s Version” projects as I feel they revitalize the original work and instill the magic they had upon release. But after listening to 1989 (Taylor’s Version), I felt indifferent to the new mixes.

Let’s start with what I like: I do enjoy some of the new production choices on the album, like making the background voices and synths louder, and just the re-recordings being much cleaner and updated compared to the 2014 version. I also enjoy the new mixes of 'Shake it Off', 'Bad Blood', and 'Welcome to New York'—all tracks that I originally disliked and now heavily appreciate with the re-recording. But everything else leaves much to be desired.

One of the most disappointing parts of the album for me was the mixing, which was so underdeveloped. An artist so rich should be able to afford proper production within their music, especially within a genre so baseless as mainstream pop. You’d think that there would be no issues with such a simple task, but you’d be surprised. I noticed with tracks like 'Style', which in context was my favorite track off of 1989, that the entirety of the production’s original magic was lost. With the vocals so loud and the instrumentation so low, 'Style' loses all style and genuinely feels like a demo. 'Style' isn’t the only offender in this aspect; tracks like 'Blank Space' and 'Out of the Woods' repeat the same offense.

But at the base of it, this album is still 1989, and at its core, it’s still incredibly enjoyable. The hooks, instrumentation, and vocals are all captivating, some more than others, and the album is so recognizable to me in its original way that it caused me to become more critical of the album. If I were to put myself in the shoes of someone who hasn’t heard the original version, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the production oddities as quickly, or maybe even at all. 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is put at a disadvantage for having such a large task at its disposal, but it’s no excuse for the project, as Taylor has shown three times before with Red (Taylor’s Version), Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), and Fearless (Taylor’s Version) that she is more than capable of making an impressive reproduction of a project.

There are new tracks to the project labeled "From the Vault” at the end of their names, a trend with all of the “Taylor’s Version” projects to provide new material to the album to sweeten the package. Typically, these “From the Vault” tracks contribute a lot to the project, adding material that is on par with or even better than the source material. But 1989’s “From the Vault” tracks don’t feel like that in any way. My interpretation of these tracks is that they are throwaways from her 2022 project Midnights, an album that I already disliked for the reasons that it was monotonous, repetitive, and derivative. Those three aspects follow with these “From the Vault” tracks; they don’t add anything to the album and honestly feel like a lazy attempt at padding out the record’s content to generate more hits rather than an attempt at having B-sides that are repurposed with the intention of creating true artistry matching its predecessor.

Taylor Swift’s 1989 (Taylor’s Version) proved to be a divisive record in the sense that it felt unfinished in some regards but also fully realized on some other tracks. But the album committed transgression in the way it removed a lot of the magic from its source material, especially in key tracks like ‘Style’ and ‘Blank Space’. For a Swiftie, this rerecording may suffice to satisfy the insatiable urge for new material from Taylor, but for me, it leaves much to be desired and makes me come off of it disappointed, especially in comparison to the original record that it’s revitalizing.

4mo
appealing to the girlies with this one i see the vision 📈📈📈
FULL REVIEW BY SUNDAY I HOPE
4mo
@Chode This is me shooting my shot
4mo
you got my gears turning
4mo
That article was fake and it’s source was a twitter account
4mo
Her carbon footprint is still monstrously high and incredibly damaging? Even if she isnt #1 doesnt mean she isnt guilty of that 😭
4mo
@Suburban_Legend if you took the time to search it once, there is literally substantiated evidence pointing towards Swift being #1 in highest carbon footprint for celebs by far. This is entirely due to her usage of a private jet to travel everywhere
4mo
Best review this album will ever see
Thanks bro @Tielur
4mo
Good argument. unfortunately, she said #climatechangeisreal on twitter. Take that nitwit
Real
4mo
what does that have to do with the music
real fuck taylor
so real
4mo
postponing this review a day or so, lil busy
Common Matt W
Full review out now
4mo
I am so glad someone else agrees that the mix on Bad Blood and Shake it Off are better on this version
2w
honestly a lot of celebrities have bad carbon footprints but taylor is getting called out so much recently and it’s satisfying to see. but other than that 1989 og is still her best in my opinion