Swans - The Burning World
Album #6: The Burning World
Genre: Neo-Folk, Gothic Rock
Date: 04/07/2020
Time: 2:30 PM

Now we see ourselves at what a lot of people would consider to be the most divisive record in Swans discography, The Burning World. This album is divisive to a lot of people for a number of reasons, Michael Gira himself despises this record and often disregards it from Swans' catalogue (hence why it's not on any streaming services), it sounds nothing like what Swans would normally sound like to people and even with all this considered people just don't care for it. Well for me at least I like this album and honestly I would go as far as to say it's pretty underrated.

To start this album is very different than most of the Swans records I've heard so far, it see's the band fully commit to the Gothic Rock and Folk elements of they're last record Children of God but this time around it's not as brooding or as dark, it actually sounds more bright. Artists can feel however they want about their own work and there's no denying that but honestly this album deserves a lot more love. Sure there are tracks on here that are pretty lackluster (The River that Runs with Love Won't Run Dry comes to mind) and it doesn't fit Swans sound but there are plenty of fantastic tracks on here that are really some of the most serene and well-crafted songs in Swans discog. The instrumentals on here are very good, most of the atmosphere works well with Michael's baritone vocal delivery, the guitars, drums and strings makes them even more enjoyable and it just sounds like a really nice change of pace for them. There seems to be a nature theme from the song titles in the tracklist and the cover art but it's not that much of an interesting concept and the sound is more of the focus of my attention here.

So yeah all in all I guess this is the underrated gem in Swans discography for me, sure it's a bit accessible for Swans but it shouldn't be discredited completely.

Best Tracks: Mona Lisa Mother Earth, Jane Mary Cry One Tear, Can't Find My Way Home, God Damn the Sun and Saved

Worst Track: The River that Runs with Love Won't Run Dry
Jul 4, 2020
Didn't knew this was their sixth record until now lol, also great that you liked. TBW it's really overlooked and overhated unu
Jul 5, 2020
@Laserheart yeah it's very overhated