Quadeca - From Me To You
Apr 3, 2021 (updated Apr 4, 2021)
Corny. Bloated. Faux-experimental. Boring. Oversentimental. Overblown. Overrated. The 7 key words that describes the latest album from rapper, singer, producer and youtuber Quadeca entitled 'From Me To You'. I've never watched that many videos from Quadeca or heard much of his music but what I have heard has never really impressed me, he just seemed like another YouTube rapper to me but what made him stand out a little bit from his contemporaries was the fact that he latched onto an Emo Rap sound that clearly wanted to be something bigger than what it was and even then it came off very forced, rather uninteresting and corny. But it seemed that could've changed with this album as the singles that teased it were gaining a very positive reception (especially Sisyphus), and I wanted to go into these singles loving them but once again I was left underwhelmed, they hinted at being a little bit more experimental than what we normally expect from him and while I can respect the creativity that went into the tracks they were just loaded with so many questionable decisions on the performance and instrumental fronts. I hated how overblown and crummy the mix was, everything felt so gaudy fundamentally, Quadeca's brand of overdramatic emo raps was still very much a turn off for me and his voice for both singing and rapping does nothing for me as it often comes off very overdone or incredibly flat. With all of that in mind I wasn't excited for this album in the slightest, I still wanted to go in open minded and hope that Quadeca can prove me wrong but I was still pessimistic, and after listening to it my worst fears have been confirmed as this album just did so little for me.

To start with some positives I can respect that Quadeca wanted to challenge himself with a lot of what he presented on here and his "experimental" tendencies are admirable for the most part, and to his credit, this is one of the more interesting and ambitious musical undertakings from a big YouTube name like himself, but as a whole this was a slog to get through and that was for a number of reasons. I suppose I'll explain my main gripe with it which funnily enough was what I praised it for and that's Quadeca's attempts at being experimental, aside from 'Sisyphus' and 'Candles on Fire!' there isn't much else on 'From Me To You' that is substantive or satisfying and these "experimental sounds" seem like an attempt at making the listener think that there's something more going on when in reality there isn't, because at the core these tracks don't really have that much to them that's either interesting or new, in fact some of it is incredibly trite and that renders these tracks to nothing but a boring mess. Another thing that bugs me about the record is the production, while it isn't anything that painstakingly egregious or terrible to the point where its unlistenable, its incredibly messy to me, a lot of the mixes that Quadeca opts to incorporate are very crummy and brittle to me, to the point where it feels like he is blowing out the mix as much as he can to get a bigger sound and it's very grating, and a part of me wants to say that he just did this so he could pass this off as creative or cutting edge when in reality it just kinda sounds like a mess and it happens on most of the cuts here.

Quadeca himself still doesn't make these tracks work for me, he has improved in his singing voice and I will admit that he can pull of an impressive flow but none of the flows he uses are smooth or satisfying to me, they're often quite derivative and kinda boring, and I just can't help but wince whenever he uses a speedy spiritual miracle lyrical flow. His delivery isn't the best either, it can work with a lot of the melodrama to be fair, but I disliked the melodrama that this album presented so you can bet that didn't help, and even then his lyrics drag this album down as well, I can appreciate the emotiveness but damn there was plenty of corny bars and 21st Century White Boy Blues on this one, so much to the point where I struggled to sit through the whole thing (not to mention Quadeca is so void of any personality that he makes these tracks all the more boring to sit through). Finally where this album holds me back is in its tracklist, and you guessed it! I think it's bloated as hell, that probably has to do with the fact that I found a lot of material on this album to be incredibly boring and everyone who likes this album probably doesn't have that issue, but Jesus the amount of interludes and bland filler seems so unnecessary and given that it pads out the album to an hours length, it just doesn't help, I could say more about this what else is there to he said, it's just too long.

Look, if you enjoy the album all power to you, but this is just my opinion, I have nothing against Quadeca as a person or as a content creator, this is just my take on his music and I just ask that ye respect that.

Best Tracks: Sisyphus and Candles On Fire!

Worst Tracks: Work! and Where'd You Go
MickyT's Tags
MickyT oozing the savagerY
Apr 3, 2021
Respectfully disagree, great review regardless 😌
@thewayiam thank you :)
@eliiscool5 SavageT
Apr 3, 2021
Micky T spitting straight facts for an entire review
@CLJesse when am I never
Apr 3, 2021
Agree with thewayiam, respectfully disagree but still a well written review :)
FACTS
@MickyT I listened to 4 songs and got so fucking bored so I stopped
Apr 3, 2021
@MattsReviews thank you :)
@PipePanic @Noz I'm spitting facts only tbh
Apr 4, 2021
I also respectfully disagree, but this is a really great review 💗
@FleetwoodGrips <3
Apr 4, 2021
I loved the record, my fav project of the year so far, but this honestly is a really detailed and great review. Good job!
Apr 4, 2021
I loved this album but this is an amazing review!
Apr 4, 2021
@Reviewsic @ntontehtrack thank you both, that means a lot :)
Apr 4, 2021
I think he meant to put this under Justin's new album.

All jokes aside, really well-done, though I disagree.
@TheMCGuffinShow lmao thanks
i disrespectfully disagree.
*disrespects you* there!! hah

no but fr this is a great review, good job!!
@SMTCubes thanks:)
Thank you Micky T. Now I feel less insane in not liking this
@ImplicitDoom you're welcome
Apr 5, 2021
Not sure how you can call this "faux-experimental" and give BCNR a 98. I'm not saying this is super experimental--it's not--but if you're going to complain about things not really being that experimental, you could be more consistent lol. Otherwise a pretty good review, even if I disagree a lot
Apr 6, 2021
@jamescube For the first time isn't even that crazy experimental to me either, but at the core of the songs on that record they have consistenly captivating, unique and catchy traits that I found myself adoring, hence why my score was so high, I even used to think that people were only hyping up BCNR because they seemed experimental, then I heard the album and I ended up loving it. Plus I like the sound of that album whereas I don't on this one, I appreciate you pointing that out either way and thanks for reading my review.
Apr 6, 2021
@mickyt Oh, I see. I've seen a lot of people act like it's super experimental and unlike anything else so sometimes I just don't know. I understand not liking this certainly, though sometimes the negatives (such as some of the lyrics) can come off as charming to me
Apr 6, 2021
@jamescube honestly I can understand that to an extent and I'll respect it :)
BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
BROCKHAMPTON
ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra
Promises
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE - ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE
ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Black Country, New Road - For the first time