Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation II
Apr 21, 2021
14 minutes of Kero Kero Bonito at their finest! Admittedly, I haven't heard the first Civilisation EP or a bulk of Kero Kero Bonito's discography outside of Bonito Generation which acted as my introduction their world and it was a great introduction at that, I wasn't anticipating this EP either since I only found out about its existence last night and as I'm writing this review up I am tired as hell so my thoughts do feel a little scrambled, but based off of my first listen of this thing I was blown away by how surprisingly fantastic it was from its sound to its lyrics.

This short EP contains 3 tracks that are just nothing but groove, fun and colour, the production on this album is fantastic which in itself is a given since it's KKB, it sees them blend their usual sounds of Dance-Pop and Electro-Pop on the first two cuts, the first of which being the main single for this EP 'The Princess and the Clock' which features some abrasive synths, some brilliant up-tempo production and it's an absolute bop through and through, in contrast with that track '21/04/20' is much more lowkey with a somewhat City-Pop tinged atmosphere, it's a vibrant and sombre track that works well for what it is and it works with the themes of the lyrics, it may be my least favourite track on the EP but that's not saying much because it's a great track either way. However the EP's crowning jewel is the 7 minute long Deep House odyssey which is 'Well Rested', it's the track that everyone who heard this was hyping up and they weren't lying when they said it was amazing because it well and truly is amazing, from the themes to the fantastic house grooves to the vibrant soundscape it stays engaging and entertaining for its whole duration, it's like KKB's Deep House take on a Daft Punk track and it's easily one of the best songs that I've heard from KKB thus far. Sarah Bonito's youthful presence is always welcomed and she makes this album all the more fantastic with her vocals and her lyrics which have improved massively in juxtaposition with Bonito Generation (reminder that I haven't heard every KKB record), lyrically a lot of what is being presented here is like a hopeful outlook on a world that is both pessimistic and destroying itself, themes of the pandemic and humanities continuous strive to move forward just to live turn up on this album and I'm surprised by how (dare I say) deep a lot of this record was and the substantive qualities of the songwriting elevate the tracks for me, the lyrics on the final track may come off a little pretentious but fuck you I like them and the track is a bop. Do I have more to say? Not really this is just a very stellar EP that I would highly recommend.

Best Tracks: The Princess and the Clock and Well Rested

Least Favourite Track: 21/04/20
Apr 21, 2021
listen to everything else or else i will eat you
🤣
good review
@TomBejoy Thomas Bejoyeth the 9th, my good sir.... nah
Apr 21, 2021
@TomBejoy also could you like... not spam comment on my reviews thanks lmao
Oh.
Apr 21, 2021
Wait a minute how do you know it's KKB at their finest if you haven't even heard most of their discog?
@Toasterqueen12 you're not allowed to question that 😳