Chat Pile - God’s Country
Aug 8, 2022
'God's Country' is good even if it's a bit on the overrated side. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high given the amount of hype Chat Pile has been receiving, there's most certainly quality here but the praise it's getting is a bit overblown in my opinion. Like this album doesn't exactly do much that's all that mind-blowing or new for most part, some of it is a bit derivative of Daughters brand of Noise Rock which wouldn't be an issue on its own if the production and the performances are good, but those aspects can be somewhat hit-or-miss for me especially since some of the mixing makes tracks like 'Slaughterhouse' sound unbearably dull. Plus the more over-the-top and melodramatic performances from the frontman on moments like 'The Mask' and 'Grimace_Smoking_Weed.Jpeg' can be really irritating and hard to sit through since it just sounds like he's trying too hard to sound unhinged. But even with those issues I won't deny I liked a lot of tracks on this, everything from 'Why' to 'Tropical Beaches, Inc.' specifically which have some of the best instrumentals, production and performances on the album. I like the variety of ideas and sounds the band brings to the table even if they aren't executed with consistency and even if I'm not crazy about it I can really appreciate it for its best moments.

Best Tracks: Pamela, Anywhere and Tropical Beaches, Inc.
Worst Track: I Don't Care If I Burn