David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Album #6: Aladdin Sane
Genre: Glam Rock, Art, Rock, Pop Rock
Date: 04/08/2020
Time: 2:15 PM

The Bowie train continues on with his 6th album, Aladdin Sane. I've been loving a lot of what I've been hearing from David Bowie's work since The Man Who Sold the World, he's been outdoing himself time and time again since the debut and I would hope that he would continue to outdo himself on Aladdin Sane, but at the same time I doubt that he'd be able to top The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, alas he doesn't do that this time around but let me tell you Aladdin Sane is one hell of record.

Aladdin Sane see's Bowie focus less on a full cohesive concept and opts for more of a focus on the aesthetic, as Aladdin Sane has a different sonic approach with it's crisper production, glamour in it's presentation and just a fun yet intense atmosphere. The instrumentals on this album are fantastic, they combine elements of glam rock, art rock, blues and even jazz, in a why it's just at the same quality level as Ziggy Stardust but they are easily distinguishable from each other, Aladdin Sane feels more clean and a lot more versatile in it's approach especially since a lot of these tracks have more of a piano based sound. In a way this is like a darker counterpart to Ziggy Stardust but it's not that conceptual. There's so many memorable qualities about some of these tracks, like the opera-esque and cabaret feel of Time, the jazz tinged sounds and the messy pianos of Aladdin Sane, the feel good vibe of The Prettiest Star, the heaviness of Cracked Actor (absolute banger) and the catchiness of Watch that Man (Possibly my favourite Bowie opener). Bowie's writing doesn't intrigue me as much but he's a damn fine performer on this album as well, his enigmatic presence and his catchy lines are great to say the least. If I have any complaints it's just one track doesn't do much for me that being Panic in Detroit, I guess it just underwhelmed me a bit.

But overall Aladdin Sane is another fantastic Bowie record, it has some of my favourite Bowie songs and some of Bowie's best production, all in all brilliant.

Best Tracks: Watch That Man, Cracked Actor, The Prettiest Star and Lady Grinning Soul

Worst Track: Panic in Detroit
Aug 4, 2020
Lady Grinning Soul is incridible.