Björk - Biophilia
Björk - 7/9

Constellations and stars and stuff. Yay!

So, after the relatively disappointing “Volta” I was hoping for Björks’ next album to be better and live up to, well, Björk standards. Thankfully, this album IS better than her previous release, but not by too much.

Listen, this is by no means bad. Or mediocre. It’s actually pretty good! But it just feels so… Empty? There’s something missing from this project, something to tie it all together properly.

Conceptually, this is pretty interesting, but the execution is a bit messy and it definitely leaves me wanting more.

The best part about this album, however, is the production. Contrary to “Voltas’” very odd and lackluster production, this sounds great all around. It can be harrowing or beautiful whenever it wants, and it succeeds in doing so.

My opinion on the instrumentals is a bit mixed. There are enough songs where I really enjoy what Björk does with all these sounds she uses, managing to create a very engaging atmosphere. But there are subsequently moments where the instrumental feels too simple and boring.

The record reeeally takes its’ time. It’s a slow-burner; nothing here is as instantly entertaining or catchy as anything else Björk has done. And while I definitely commend her for the experimentation with this style, I can’t help but feel like the album drags at times.

The writing and singing are pretty great though. Björk really manages to maintain a tone or melody on these songs, and it complements the atmospheric instrumentals well.

Honestly, I think this album is good enough. It’s a very intriguing project by Björk and it’s unlike anything she’s done up until this point. That being said, there’s just not enough substance for the record for it to remain entirely entertaining from start to finish.

Favorite tracks: Crystalline, Virus, Mutual Core