Björk - Utopia
Jul 23, 2022
Björk - 9/9

Björk really knows how to make interesting covers, doesn't she?

I feel a bit weird about this one. On one hand, I absolutely love how it sounds. Everything here feels very blissful and pretty, but on the other hand, this thing just drags too much. It has absolutely no reason being as long as it is.

Instrumentally, this is actually a pretty interesting change for Björk. Flutes, beautiful synthesizers and layered vocals all come together to create a very calming and heavenly atmosphere. The production, handled mainly by Arca, is probably the records' best feature. Everything is mixed immaculately, and the sounds here complement each other very well.

Although sonically the whole album is very pretty and enjoyable, it gets old fast. At some point the record just feels like I'm listening to the same song over and over again. Sure, you could defend this by saying that the album is simply atmospheric and it's not supposed to have much diversity, but that doesn't make it any more interesting to sit through an hour and a quarter of the same track.

There are, however, some truly transcendental moments on here. Björk sounds amazing as always, and she's clearly very comfortable with the new sound she experiments with on the record. The writing is also great. It's intimate, abstract and poetic.

There are moments like "Sue Me" where the sound is switched up a bit to grab the listeners' attention, but the result is generally mixed. While I definitely enjoyed the album, it's too bloated and unorganized to be great as a cohesive listen.

And that's it! Over the past few days, Björk has managed to quickly become one of my favorite artists PERIOD. Her sound is so incredibly unique and she hasn't had a single bad album across her whole carreer (we don't talk about "Volta"). I'm so excited for her new album coming later this year, and overall I think Björks' music will continue to fascinate and entertain me for quite a while.

Favorite tracks: The Gate, Body Memory, Losss