Porter Robinson - Nurture
Apr 23, 2021
Porter Weston Robinson, professionally known to the public as Porter Robinson, is a Synthpop/EDM artist from Chapel Hill, North Carolina who has been noted for his unique musical styles and vocaloid melodies. Porter Robinson came into the music scene at a time where the mainstream was absolutely reeking with “EDM” like LMFAO, Zedd, Jack Ü, and The Chainsmokers. Although his music is not nearly as successful as those artists I have just mentioned, it’s safe to say that he definitely makes the best music out of all of them due to how far he has branched out. He’s found his way into the spot of my favorite artists of this decade, and this second album only increases my adoration of the artist. Before his huge mainstream-appealing breakthrough with this masterpiece of an album, he put out two other projects that further sharpened his recording craft. He first put out an EP, titled “Spitfire”, using a drum-and-bass aesthetic melded with then-trendy dubstep sounds. It was his debut project that really didn’t gain much traction aside from the Knife Party remix of the track Unison. Afterwards, Robinson voiced his distaste of modern EDM, showing resentment towards his first EP for that reason. Fortunately, he changed his sound with his next project. However, before he moved on from the Spitfire Era, he released a thousand remixes to the songs on Spitfire that I’m sure nobody cares about. Anyways, onwards.

He followed the slump up with his debut studio album, Worlds. It was the first project he released after being signed to his temporary label Astralwerks. Although the album was met with mixed reception from critics, critiquing the album for “mimicking the similarly nostalgic ache of M83 but without that act’s nuance or individuality” or “trying to shift from extroversion to introspection by simply slowing and softening his clichés.” but the general public and small music communities greatly acclaimed the album, claiming it to be the next big thing in EDM with its genre blending instrumentals and unique synthpop elements. People were rooting for Porter Robinson, anticipating the end of his break and the future release of his second studio album, which had been left unnamed for years. He took a break for six long, grueling years after some personal issues and family deaths, although he was musically active through his singles, including a song with French producer Madeon on their collaboration project “Shelter”, “Clarity” by Zedd and Foxes, “Damage Control” by Mat Zo, “GTFO” by Mariah Carey, “☆ 自己憎しみ ☆” by “^_^”, and “[USA]” by Anamanaguchi. His production credits are obvious, wherever they might be. But enough about those people, it’s 2021. This is Porter’s year.

In the later months of 2020 and the earlier months of 2021, he released the main singles to the album, starting with the upbeat banger “Get Your Wish”. The song gained some traction, but even with its heartbreaking music video, nobody seemed to be too hyped for the album outside of his dedicated fanbase. “Something Comforting” was the second single that has probably gotten the most attention due to the more modern-sounding production that sounds like something The Chainsmokers could have made if they had a sliver of talent in them. The music video sits at over 3,200,000 views as of April 2020. “Mirror” came after that shortly and it was the last Porter song in 2020. Although the Bald Man from YouTube wasn’t fond of this song, it’s one of the better songs from this rollout. The glitchy synths just sound wonderful. The fourth single is by far my favorite single and sits at about 5th place in my favorite songs ranking. “Look at the Sky” is magical, it’s the friend that I wish that I had all this time, and I can’t believe I’ve only found them in early 2021. The vocals from Porter are beautiful, despite him not being the most talented singer out there, and the pitch shifting sounds amazing. The final single, although being my least favorite, is still a freaking banger. “Musician” features a sample from the twee pop band Kero Kero Bonito’s lead vocalist Sarah Bonito. It’s a little loud but still very enjoyable to the ear. The album’s final single “Unfold” is unfortunately my least favorite from the whole album, while I do like the TEED feature the vocals on this song are really obnoxious. I have some hope that this song will grow on me, if I don’t pay too much attention I can still blindly ignore the flaws and have fun with the song.

After the hassle of singles and cover art changes, the album finally released on April 23rd, and I’m very far from being dissatisfied or disappointed in any way. Thank you Porter Robinson! 😊😊

Act II - The Nurture Chat

Don’t bother and ask WHY this was formed. Half of the people in this group can’t use Instagram or Discord, so we decided to start a little group chat in the comments of Nurture leading up to its release. It was an emotional place. We’d help each other through struggles and bad thoughts alike as much as we could, and although during the final touchdown we lost a friend, he still stays in our hearts. Here’s to Nurture being a 10, everyone!

And now...the short film, “The Legend of FemCubes”

Imagine, 700 years in the future, through some last vestige of the internet kept in an underground server, a notification miraculously appears on your device (which has been preserved in nuclear dust from the 5th world war). One night, an alien working a late shift at the museum of archeology notices the cracked screen suddenly light up, and upon it, one word arises from the battered code: FemCubes. They do not know what this word means. They ponder it deeply. They scour the ancient tomes, desperate to understand its mystifying origin. It drives them mad. Is it a primeval cipher? The motto of a bygone civilization? A message from God? Night after night they study it by candlelight. They flip through pages in books so old, the slightest cough would turn the paper to a fine off-white powder. The answer is nowhere to be found. And then they are struck by a revelation: I was not meant to know this word. Its esoteric nature escapes my grasp for a reason. What if its meaning is too enlightening to bear? With this revelation comes anger. Spite. Despair. Why shouldn't I understand it?! What cosmic forces are there at play to keep me from such knowledge?! In a fit of desperate rage, they shatter your device against a wall and exclaim, arms raised to the heavens: "This is literally 1984!" Silence... Their pleas are unanswered. Sadly, in the end, their inability to unlock the word's meaning drives them to suicide. Its secrets are never known. So I ask you this: is it better to die having never understood the true mind-bending nature of FemCubes, or to be driven mad by the user of AOTY that goes by SMTCubes? If you knew enlightenment would render you incapable of living on this mortal earth without making daily references to a “femboy” version of a real teenager, would you accept it? With knowledge comes power, but also endless suffering. Choose wisely, and be wary when standing at the edge of that great abyss we call "the Truth," lest you fall too deep.
MirroredComfort's Tags
cock n balls. been waiting 7 years for this one bois
FemCubes
FemCubes [2]
Apr 23, 2021
humanity has evolved to the point where femcubes exists. reality is worthwhile after all.
Apr 23, 2021
femcubes will live on, God bless
femcubes [3]
whwre sisis my shoutout 😡😡😡

jk Lmao great review
Apr 23, 2021
I like the femboy and cum parts i wish you went into detail about kendrick and porter though
edmtard
femcubes will live on, God bless [2]
congrats omg!!
Apr 23, 2021
congrats on popular this week
@BGL13 😊😊😊💕💕💕
THE FUCJ IDK IF I EVER COMMENTED ON THIS
Apr 26, 2021
I wanna send this to Matthew one day
Apr 26, 2021
@Riskr aww yeah i tried my hardest with this one, legend of femcubes future classic
Apr 26, 2021
I don't want it to seem like I can't move on from him ,cause that would make it much more emotionally hard on him @mirroredcomfort , BUT in a month or so I'll shout that section to him on RYM
yeah that sounds good
Apr 27, 2021
did you mention your own name here?? LMAO
@Riskr wdym?
"
@Riskr @SMTCubes @MirroredComfort @Halbery @Quet @QueenRosie @MattsReviews @August @IEnjoyMusic @Chode @FreddySam @Landalt @thewayiam @Dango @jessiehehe @patricia4221 @EraX and I’m sure many more are all the people who made this “GC” as magical as it is. Love you all. "
that’s my name👍
Tagged moment
Apr 27, 2021
ohhh yeah lol it was funny
TAGGED MOMENT

TAGGED MOMENT
oh shit sorry LMAOOO
Apr 27, 2021
omg thank you so much ❤️ it makes me delighted to delight others
Apr 28, 2021
love you too <33333333
May 3, 2021
wait i thought i replied to this review already. love you all smmmm! Nurture gangg ❤️
I sent it to smt
@riskr really? nice!
May 4, 2021
I may have done it a couple days ago and forgot to tell you lol
May 6, 2021
Thank you all for Popular this Month!!!
May 6, 2021
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
May 20, 2021
Unbased score drop (jk ly jack)
Adele - 30