Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Oct 28, 2018 (updated Nov 2, 2018)
I don't get it. It definitely had some interesting moments but I don't get the hype. Nothing about it stands out that much for me to greatly appreciate. Sounds like a typical bandcamp noise rock album.

Edit: watch the user score peak after that 10/10 from Fantano. Interesting how large his influence is, especially on this website.
Oct 28, 2018
L
You have an Imagine Dragons album as a 10/10 you don't get the mic sir
Oct 29, 2018
I kind of agree honestly, i felt like i had already heard this album multiple times over upon giving it a first listen. However i do think it's well made for what it is.
^ fair enough
I disagree but we cool
love u too fam
Oct 30, 2018
Thats bc of childhood nostalgia you pleb, my rating are based on personal enjoyment
Oct 30, 2018
Have people already forgotten about NIN?
Oct 30, 2018
I'm more worried that people have forgotten about Foetus.
Oct 30, 2018
This album is a 6.3/10 for me out of personal enjoyment for me. See where I'm getting at @Zach
Oct 31, 2018
I appreciate your differing point of view Em, I don't agree at all but it wouldn't be fun if the ratings boards were just a circlejerk. Cheers.
Nov 1, 2018
Also based Imagine Dragons hate fuck that band.
Nov 1, 2018
For the record, Zach is my friend outside of this site. We joke like that sometimes, and sometimes we trigger each other, but in the end we both know that it's all banter and we respect each other's opinions. Mr. Brad didn't know that before insulting me, did he? Doing the very thing that he thinks he called me out on. Thank you Brad, very cool!
Nov 1, 2018
I'm only here for the eventual MB vs Brad boxing match that WON'T end in a tie
Nov 1, 2018
sincerely don't get the hype for this... generic noise rock with some good moments... It doesn't go as hard as advertised. I guess i'm more fore the fun, drunk hxcx kinda noise rock and not the depressive, post-punky kinda noise rock.
^^^^^ @Blackclover
Nov 1, 2018
I love the post-punky depressing noise rock, but I just can't take away much from this album @marcopive
Nov 1, 2018
less sex is pretty cool, tho
that's what I tell myself
Nov 2, 2018
Any recommendations for specific bands/albums in this style? I really fuck with the album so far but I haven't listened to a lot of noise rock. Closest thing in this vein I've listened to a lot is probably Dillinger.
Nov 2, 2018
Swans is the closest comparison I can make
Nov 2, 2018
I think there is a real appeal for darker music in this website (I can also say the same thing to other band like deafheaven this year
). And more generally, some substance/complexity. I don't think this album is remarkable but I do think this one captures a precise asthetic that I don't like but other really dig to it (the review of fantano or Brad represents so well this) to the point that I ask myself the limits of rating and reviewing in comparing all albums and all genre/subgenres.
Nov 2, 2018
@TheGoffOff Have a Nice Life, NiN, Viet Cong/Preoccupations, even try Prurient. There are a lot of great noisy experimental rock artists out there.
Nov 2, 2018
@WildChameleon interesting you mentioned that. On the other hand, I saw a bunch of hip hop heads in Fantano's instagram comment section complaining about this album getting a second 10/10 of the year from him.
Nov 2, 2018
Consumer Revolt by Cop Shoot Cop is pretty similar, and it was released 3 decades earlier
Nov 2, 2018
@morningsbell Appreciate the list. I've listened to NiN before (and a tad bit of Prurient and Viet Cong) but I don't remember it sticking. Maybe I'll like it more now with the context of the Daughters record.
@wacochran Yeah what I've heard of Swans is fantastic... which is basically just To Be Kind admittedly. I just have to be in a very particular mood to listen to that album so I haven't given it enough time to really digest it. I just know I like it -- not really an in-depth opinion.
Nov 3, 2018
Yeah this album is definitely not a 10/10 in my opinion. But I also understand the praise its been given.
Nov 4, 2018
there is a good amount of 'industrial' music from the 80's & 90's that is generally in this wheelhouse. Things like Melt Banana, Jesus Lizard, the Birthday Party...various Mike Patton projects... NIN & Swans are more obv points but you can look at all the bands that influenced them. While none of these are EXACTLY like this album, you can hear various points of influence in this album.
Nov 6, 2018
I've yet to hear of a Bandcamp noise album that sounds this terrifying.
Nov 7, 2018